Dreadlords Four Factions and a Wedding.

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group
Grendel let it slide. Calling all of Vittoria's little jabs out was a never ending task. He picked his battles.
"The guests are my Mother's doing. The her son is getting engaged. One can hardly blame her for pulling out all the stops."
That twinge on his heart came again and went. His smile faltered at the edges and Grendel wondered if it would ever stop happening.
Across the swell of people he spied his mother speaking with Vittoria's uncle with what looked like a genuine smile on her face.
"I imagine this will be small potatoes to what you'll be hosting when the time comes."
Ever impressed at Nilofer's grace even in the face of the unexpected gift. His hand gave her another gentle squeeze, this time one of confidence in her actions.

Nilofer Saladin
Vittoria Larrainth

It was almost easier this second time, to go through the motions of politness and niceties at a celebration where they were always being watched. Those in attendance who were there to genuinely celebrate the couple were few and far between- too many more were there to look for any cracks and to somehow use it to benefit themselves.

Nilofer knew Vittoria was looking for cracks under the guise of polite friendliness, but Nilofer kept her smile on and her head up to meet the gaze of the taller girl.

There was nothing else for her to say at the moment; she was once more grateful for Grendel's hand over hers.

Vittoria Larrainth Grendel Strand

Vittoria gave Grendel a look of doubt, or something as close to it for someone like her.

"I am not after something large and celebrated. I am to lose my name, the last of my line." With the death of her father in the last year, such a weight did not weigh heavily upon her.

Instead, Vittoria now smiled that unseemly smile that gave no warmth to her sharp features. "But of course, you both deserve to celebrate. Such a union between Anirian and Kaliti... brave and true. Perhaps you both ought to thank your other guests. I hate to take up all your time."

She had thought that by speaking to her classmate for a short while would allow her a graceful exit, with or without her aunt and uncle.

Vittoria gave a bow to the betrothed couple, eyes looking to the ground, and finally a sly smirk was brought to a short life on her lips as she turned away without meeting their gazes.

Grendel Strand
Nilofer Saladin

Grendel let Vittoria go.
Really she was good to have as long a talk as she had done with them without straight up insulting someone.
He bowed to excuse her and without making motion to guide or lead he leaned into Nilofer's confidence and spoke quietly once Vittoria was on her way.

"Vittoria can be a little blunt but she means well and she is right. An Anirian/Kaliti wedding is already turning heads. We will be watched closely."

The crowds moved around them, ore guests, more food arrived and in the din of voices and chatter the music could scarce be heard.

Nilofer Saladin

Nilofer dipped her head to Vittoria as the girl excused herself, leaving her and Grendel alone, or as alone as they could be in the middle of a crowded party.

Nilofer nodded as Grendel turned and spoke to her. "We will always be watched closely," she replied softly. Even after the wedding, the pair would be watched. That rather depressing and scary thought was only tempered by the fact that Nilofer would be far enough away from her parents that they would hold less influence over her.

Nilofer's gaze moved across the crowds, as if looking in vain for a familiar face. She knew no one here, and none of them knew her- save for Grendel. She felt as if she were in a raging river and he was a rock she was holding on to desperately to keep from being swept away.

Grendel Strand

There it was, the dual nature of Nilofer's situation.
Grendel knew she was eager to leave the shadow of her family, he understood seeing the weight of it first hand but there was also the isolation that came with. She knew nobody here save him. It made him instantly important to her and he was forced to wonder not for the first time if the tradition of taking women from their families had more to do with fostering reliance than any practicality of starting a family.
The world was a series of control systems, organisations stacked high into the heavens that one had to navigate. The beginning was unimportant, what mattered was working your way through it and that was always easier with help.
Reflexively he rubbed the top of her hand on his arm.
"Blazing a trail is never an easy thing, but I am glad of the company."
He was not surprised to find that he meant it but rather by how much he meant it. He felt that Nilofer would meet even a charging elephant with poise and grace. Even if their marriage turned out to be loveless, there would at least be respect and some kindness. Many were stuck with far less than that.
So in that way he considered himself fortunate indeed.
"But this is our party, let's get through the next few greetings and see if we can find time to enjoy it."
He was no jokester but he hoped Nilofer caught the gentle edge to his suggestion.

Nilofer

Nilofer nodded, her smile becoming more genuine as Grendel spoke. They were in this together, both of them pawns in a bigger game, both of them judged by the other's people.

She nodded again, turning her gaze once more to the people around them.

These greetings were perhaps more important than any that had happened at the previous celebration in Annuakat, if only because Nilofer would be living here, on this very estate, and very likely would be dealing with some of these same people on a daily basis.

Grendel Strand

Grendel led them gently through the guests until they came across an unusual looking couple that Grendel did not know.
"Good evening and welcome honoured guests. I am Grendel Strand and this is my betrothed, Nilofer of the House of Saladin. I do not believe we have been introduced yet."
The man was certainly of the Empire but the woman looked too pale. He would have put money down that she was Anirian in heritage although he had to admit to himself that he was not as up to date on Kaliti peoples as he might have been.
Idly his eyes noticed that the man was armed. Many in Annuakat were armed at the announcement there. It was their way. Not that he was not armed but in the Vels one kept their power secret. His own dagger hidden on his person as no doubt any other Anirian had.

Nilofer Saladin
Roul
Nocturne

The bride-to-be and her consort approached. A moment of understanding passed in the look Roul shared with Nocturne.

Now or never…

Roul gathered his concentration, recalling his all too-brief time at Elbion. Golden wolf-eyes met Grendel’s expectant stare.

“No. We haven’t,” rasped the mercenary.

Roul muttered a word in the tongue of magic. Thick, obscuring fog seeped from the earth and rose up in a sudden rush. One moment the air was clear, the next Roul could hardly see ten feet in front of him.

He moved with the speed of a man who trained since a young age in one profession: battle.

In a smooth motion, Roul drew his Cortosi-style long dagger in one hand, while the other shot out in a crushingly strong grip - seeking to grab hold of Nilofer Saladin and pull her toward him. He aimed his dagger at her flesh.

“Hold,” he growled, “Or she dies screaming. The blade is envenomed with basilisk’s poison.” An incredible potent, acidic poison that caused necrosis of the muscle tissue. A cut might not mean certain death, but it could mean excruciating pain, rotted flesh, and amputation.

Which Roul did not want. He needed her alive and whole in order to ransom her back to her family - or to this Anirian half-wit. Whichever would pay more. But they did not need to know this.

Besides, desperate men do desperate things…

August Oreno did not particularly care about weddings, nobles or announcements.

He did care about gold changing hands.

Specifically from the hands of others into his. He was being paid a rather sizeable fee to be in the background of the current chaotic mess. To run interference. The kidnapping of a noble lady was not a trivial matter, so you needed as much back-up as you could get.

His hand settled lazily on the pommel of his sword he kept observed their surroundings. There would be guards... there were always guards.

"Nice an' easy, folks." August said as he pulled his sword half out the sheath as a warning. "You will see your lovely little bride-to-be again if everyone remains calm."

"What's a little gold... in the face of eternal love?"

Roul | Grendel Strand | Nilofer Saladin | Nocturne

Months ago Amell had placed a strange seedling of fear into the back of Leander’s mind. When they had been in that carriage together, alone besides the two horses and well-paid coachman outside the thin walls, Leander had faced his cousin with the natural arrogance and ignorance of any young man belonging to a prominent family. But Amell’s words had struck him more deeply than the news of Caeso Diemut’s mutilation and death in the Elven Quarter. Amell had teased at knowing something, something profound enough to make Leander hold his tongue.

That something sat before him, as irritated and upset as he was, if not more. Another problem, another headache— oh, how Felix had gotten him good. While his two eldest brothers could enjoy their Obanese wives, specifically chosen because they listened to their fathers more than their fiancés at the time, Leander was stuck with the biggest blonde bitch he had ever met. What was worse? They had gone to the Academy together.

He never paid her any notice, or any of her little posse members filled with idiots and other bitches. Why would he? Liliana Lorel— Lorel was a minor house, only special because of Virak (pathetic.) Her magic? Even less special.

Tell me, my little brother,” Felix had taunted as he sat at the great table in his own manor, close to rivaling their father’s home, eating Leander’s favorite meal and having Leander stand at the very end. Leander had stood there for nearly two hours, watching Felix enjoy course after course, each one representing a family member. He was sure that for dessert, Felix would have black espresso that smelled of dark chocolate to symbolize Odessa. “Even when you sleep, can you null all magic?”

Leander had no idea if he could. He was a light sleeper, everyone at the Academy tended to be save for those like Edric. He nodded his head regardless. He wouldn’t show Felix fear, his pride wouldn’t let his brother ever have a ounce of satisfaction.

“Good.” Felix said. “Because this one will get you while you’re sleeping, or maybe when you’re taking a shit or when you’re coughing.” The smile was cruel. “But you like them feisty, don’t you, even if you embarrass our legacy by having some trite trollop stomp all over your foot and letting a lunatic get the best of you?” There was nothing to say but words weren’t needed with his cheeks feeling hot and red. “It’s time for you to be a man, and you better do this for our family or I’m afraid Oraya will be my only option. Don’t make me feel desperate, you know what happens when I feel like I have something to prove.” Leander did know what happens when Felix Urahil had something to prove.

It resulted in bloodshed. Every time people would die.

I hate your eyes.” Leander said, inspecting Liliana’s features once more. No, she wasn’t ugly, but she wasn’t exactly stunning, was she? There was a harshness in her dramatic lines, all sharp and dangerous like a wild cat or a sharpened knife. What else could be expected of a dreadlord? “But I hate not being the center of attention even more.” Liliana may not have been beautiful, but she was smart— that could be respected, especially if it helped him show Felix that this problem was not a problem at all.

The carriage came to a halt and the coachmen were prompt in their duties, one of them coming to open the door. Leander got out first, held out a large hand for her to take. He suspected even in her dress that she didn’t need help getting down. He took a deep breath, a smile appeared, and Leander reminded himself that by playing along with Liliana he would be getting back at Felix, the only consolation of the night.

Let’s enjoy our first evening together, my love.” The last two words were foreign on his tongue, they faltered and struggled to match the cadence of the others that were spoken. Leander cleared his throat. Next time he’d get it right.

Liliana

Last edited:
I hate your eyes.

Liliana nearly stabbed him in the throat with her heel. It's point had been specifically filed down to a sharp tip for just such an occasion, though she managed to keep her thigh from flexing as the little wretch agreed to her terms.

At least he wasn't going to be entirely obstinate.

Perhaps she could take some time after this party and properly educate him. Liliana knew that her weaves wouldn't work, but a whip would do just fine. "Oh I've dreamed of nothing more, Sweetheart."

Liliana cooed, hiding the venom within her thoughts. Not a single syllable shaking within her voice as she played her part to perfection. As she always did. Her heels stabbing into the wooden floor of the carriage as she took his palm and glided down the steps. The soft click of her heels echoing out as she offered her fiance a beaming smile.

She lingered for only a second more. Golden eyes, which he apparently hated, staring at him with what most would see as adoration, but held a slither of venom meant only for him.

Her head finally turning, Liliana strode forward. Taking the lead between the two of them as her arm slipped beneath hers and the two betrothed trailed up the entryway of House Strange. Making their way into the party, and unbeknownst to them; a brewing hostage situation.

One second Nilofer was by Grendel's side, meeting two new people she had never seen before, her pleasant smile fixed on her face, and the next she had a knife against her throat. The strange, strong man's hand had snatched out, gripped her upper arm and yanked her towards him, pulling her other arm from Grendel's, and pressed his long dagger against her throat.

Nilofer whimpered, her smile gone, and her entire body trembling. Her eyes darted to Grendel when she heard the words 'basilisk venom'. She knew just enough about it to know she did not want to be this close to it.

Then another man appeared through the fog Roul had summoned. Had this all been planned, before the party had even started?

Grendel Strand
Roul
August Oreno
Nocturne