Fable - Ask A Fool's Errand

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Silas prayed his relief didn't show when The Songbird played along with him. That had been far too close, and he was going to give Garrick the earful of a lifetime as soon as they were out of this godforsaken place. Tugging his partner over to a nice and out-of-the-way table, Silas took his seat, pulling his hood tighter over his head as though any of these other people might catch onto him somehow, as if it would matter.

"I guess we're going to see why this guy is such a big deal." Garrick muttered beside him. "It certainly can't be his personality, he's as fake as a phantom's tits."

For once, Silas agreed with Garrick.

Mavros went on his spiel, grandstanding to everybody in attendance as if they weren't already eating out of the palm of his hand. Zaco was supposed to be a musician, so why did everybody in the Yeoman's seem to revere him so? Even as he sauntered over to the keys and began to play a chilling, melancholy tune, Silas didn't feel as though his talent on the ivory was particularly prodigious in any way. He'd definitely heard better.

Then came the women, two beautiful shapes sashaying their way around the room, giving those men in the expensive seats all the attention they could ask for, drawing coin after coin from lined pockets with their perfectly proportioned bodies. All of a sudden, it seemed like nobody gave much of a damned about the music over a wagging arse in their face.

Still... Artesto found himself staring at them, face twisting as he squinted harshly at the dancers. "Silas? What is it? You look like one of em' just ripped one in your direction?" The blonde gave a small shake of his head, quietly muttering back, "Those girls... I don't think they're real, somehow."

Garrick raised an eyebrow. "Oh? and how the hell could you tell something like that?"

Silas nodded towards them, still heavily focused. "They aren't making any sound when they step on the floor. Even a light person makes a little vibration every time they bring their foot down, it's unavoidable. Those two..." Silas shakes his head, looking at The Songbird. "It's a con. I dunno how he's doing it, but he's making everybody think they're real."

Still skeptical, Garrick nodded along. "So... what are you planning? Fennec could have what she needs already, we could bail now..."

He shook his head and reached into his pocket. "I want to be sure." They'd make a distraction, and leave before things got noisy. Pulling his hand from the small pouch in his gear, Artesto produced a small pebble, about the size of a walnut. "Remind me to thank Rhidian for this later."

Vibrating his fingers around the stone, he waited until he could feel the hum of kinetic energy thrumming along inside the pebble, not unlike how Rhidian had shown him some weeks earlier. Closing one eye and taking careful aim, Silas flicked his thumb to launch the pebble up onto the stage, where it slid underneath the piano.

"Now we leave. Quickly."

"Three rose teas. Perfection! We will bring a pot and cups out shortly." The server did not bother jotting down their order when it was already so simple.

Livia looked across to Thraah, delicately scrunching her face.
"Well, I would love to see you inform Fennec your interpretation." A sly smirk quirked at her lips, turning to grin at Zinnia. Surely that would guarantee something horrendous, and a clear indicator that Thraah should very well not heed Livia's words at that.

"Honestly, Thraah, if you are not going to---" Her words came to a stop as Livia leaned comfortably into her chair, her olive eyes drifting up to the rafters to watch a feathered quill and folded poster of the Songbird's performance. Her eyes peered past the items and found Fennec before she had turned away and disappeared as quietly as she had came.

Livia instantly reached for the items.

Magic filled her, whirling around her core until it pointed true, directly across the street to where Silas and Garrick now remained inside Yeoman's.
"Fennec did it." She said, half in awe and wonder. Her gaze cut to Thraah and Zinnia as their tea arrived, a steaming pot placed in the middle where they could watch a rose bloom as it brewed.

After the server had left, Livia leaned forward and looked between the two other Initiates.

"We now have two ways of tracking him, always." Livia chewed her lip, reading the poster one last time. She tilted her head, staring at the Signature, where her magic pointed to the gentleman's club, and then to the title Songbird, where her magic then changed course and pointed to a table nearby.

She turned her head to look in that direction, finding a young male only a few years older than the three, staring at them with an amused smile. He winked once he saw Liv turn around, and began to leave his seat.

"Oh no. I think I caught the eye of some idiot." Quinnick grimaced and turned back to her table, pouring each of them a cup of tea to busy herself.

• Dab
Reactions: Fennec
THE PUB
thraah/zinnia/livia

“Well, it isn’t everyday I see some pretty faces in here.” The young male grinned, planting his hands onto the back of the empty seat beside Livia. He looked at them each in turn, still grinning as if it held any charm.

The girl that had locked eyes with him looked up at him with an arched brow, not at all entertaining his presence. “If you do not mind, we were discussing something private… Perhaps you may return to your seat and leave us to it?”

But this only made him grin wider.

“Was this discussion about me? I saw you staring. You know, I am almost a big deal around here. I cannot tell you my name, but that it holds certain credibility and… Now, now. Did anyone tell you the more you frown, the harsher the lines will be on your face?”

Getting himself comfortable, he pulled out the chair and sat down, ignoring the daggers the green eyed girl shot his way.

“Curious thing, girls. I was sure I saw something fall from the ceiling onto this table. Was it a sign from above?”

YEOMAN’S CLUB
silas/fennec/garrick

The Songbird roared and clapped enthusiastically with the crowd as the dancers removed a layer of their outfits, daring to show shorter hemmed skirts and low cut shirts that only begged little of the imagination of what was underneath.

More coin deposited to tabletop, more men leaning forward in their chairs as the girls made their way around again. The Songbird sang and sang, still keeping careful eye on the pair.

His concentration was so fixated on his magic that he did not hear the gentle pebble find rest beneath the piano, not until the pesky little thing exploded and shot up through the piano, ruining several notes and chords, strings now gone in the destruction.

A god awful note hung in the room, and the girls flickered in the wake of confusion. The Songbird fell back from the stool, scrambling away in fear of his dear life being threatened.

And Silas Artesto’s hunch had paid off. The Illusion fell, and in the confusion, the gentlemen looked around for them. They just vanished into thin air!

“WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?! WHATTHEFUCK WAS THAT?!” His voice rose to a painful screech, questions almost unintelligible. “Somebody come here and FUCKING FIND OUT WHAT THAT WAS!” The Songbird sounded different, his voice no longer carrying out that even cadence he had spoken with all throughout his performance.

Fucking, fuck.
Thraah cracked her neck and did not look at unwanted man who sat at the table. Instead she continued to look out the window and took a deep breath, just like she had seen Maseno do.
"Shithead, yes you. If you don't leave in five seconds, you, this building and anyone else who tries to stop me will be burnt to shit."
She took up her cup and poured the scalding tea into it.
"Five."
Now she looked at him and drained the boiling tea.
"Four."

Livia Quinnick
Zinnia

Zinnia glanced up to the man who had intruded on the girls' conversation looking much like a deer caught in a spotlight. The idea of getting hit on was both uncomfortable and...oddly flattering, given that Zinnia didn't really get hit on. Except by Silas. And Larkin that one time, but he hit on everyone.

Regardless, the man's timing was terrible, and clearly unwelcome by the polite reaction of Livia and the significantly more forceful reaction of Thraah. The issue was, if the guy didn't take "no" for an answer, Thraah was extremely likely to make good on her threat. Making a scene like that wasn't something they could afford right now.

"Thraah...m-maybe we don't b-burn down the building, please?" she pleaded in a hushed tone before glancing at their "guest," begging him to leave with her eyes.

Silas winced at the ghastly sound the piano made as his makeshift trap wreaked havoc on the thing, pulling his hood tight around his head in the hopes that maybe it would muffle some of the commotion that they'd just brought about. Artesto and Garrick quickly slid from their quiet booth and made for the door, the screeching Songbird and the confused and angered patrons creating an ideal cover for their retreat.

Hopefully, Fennec had found the opening she'd needed, and Zaco wouldn't suspect the two of them as the source of the interruption. He'd seen their faces, and that would make the next part of their job that much more difficult. It'd be trouble enough catching him without the city guard on alert looking for somebody matching his description.

The doorman, oddly enough, still wasn't back at his when Silas and Garrick left the Yeoman's Club. Either he'd heard the commotion and decided he didn't want to be around for The Songbird's wrath, or he'd actually taken the day off when Silas had paid him. Either way, he was thankful for the easy escape.

"Now we just need to find Liv and the others. I doubt they went too far, so we should check around until--"

Just then, a man burst from the doors of the pub directly across the street from the Yeoman's, mumbling something about a 'crazy bitch' as he hurriedly carried himself down the street and as far away from the establishment as possible.

"Sounds like he saw Thraah. Let's start there." Garrick deadpanned, walking ahead of Silas as the pair of them slipped into the still-open door.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Zinnia
"Oh, love, you're not gonna do that. Now back to---"

"Really, sir, it is best you leave. She may not be able to burn you, but I sure as hell will ask you to leave once more." Livia cut him a look, one she liked to use to drive home her distaste, but the gentleman simply grinned, unfazed by her.

He slung an arm over Livia's chair, leaning in as she leaned away, their tea cups rattling as her magic crackled in the air. "I was only curious of what fell from the rafters. I see no one up there." He craned his neck, making a show of looking.

But before the three Initiates could say anymore, a commotion appeared at the club.

Without any other warning, Livia gathered all that crackling energy and concentrated it onto his hand that began to brush at her shoulder. He yelped, seething with pain as he shoved Livia from her seat in his panic to leave their table, holding his wrist as his hand began to contort and twitch, the blood vessels corrupting and his nerves behaving erratically. Before he could leave them, and finding herself on the sticky pub floor, Livia checked her hand, to see the pendant she yanked from the leather strand around his neck. It was of a bird, what kind, she was unsure.

"The club! We should---"

"Get up, lightweight." Garrick announced himself, taking her seat and pushing away her tea. "We already handled business at the club. Take a seat, Silas." He kicked the only remaining chair out for him. "So what next, Quinnick?"

Livia got to her feet, pocketing the pendant. There was a hunch about that man, but she needed to be sure things were not going out of control before looking into it. "
Fennec got me the item needed to track him. We let him scurry for a few minutes before we begin tracking him. Safe house should be sorted out by the time we catch him... but I think we are going to need to secure transport... how are we going to move him around without rousing suspicion?"

• Gasp
Reactions: Zinnia
"I was only gonna make little fires!"
Thraah huffed a bit, sour at being denied her sport. Roasting creeps was always fun.
The commotion happened and... Garrick arrived, great.
Thraah halted the cup Garrick shoved and topped it up from the tea pot before passing it back to her. She did pay for it, Garrick's shit-bird manners should not end it too soon.
"Alright Blondie, Shit-bird."
She flipped Garrick off again.
"By handled, do you mean had to fuck off outta there like foxes caught in the chicken coup? Looks like it."
Just to show that she bore Silas no animosity when such a welcome and willing target was in front of her she threw him a look and a wink.

Silas Artesto
Livia Quinnick
Zinnia
Fennec

"Livia!" Zinnia responded reflexively as she was toppled from her seat. The issue of their unwanted suitor resolved itself, but getting knocked over like that wasn't exactly desirable, even if the three of them were all future Dreadlords. Of course, the blonde girl was back to her feet in an instant, as though nothing had happened.

In fact, a multitude of things had happened, including the sudden return of Silas and Garrick. Zinnia offered the former a blushing smile and a wave at his return. On to the next leg of the group's ordeal.
"S-Someone should try to get ahold of a c-carriage or covered wagon, I th-think. Easiest way to move someone around without a m-million eyes on them."

Best to keep it simple anyways.

Silas fell into the chair offered to him with a sigh, not even bothering to ask what commotion the two of them had just missed. Whatever it was, he would have bet on these three girls over any rambunctious bar patron. The poor bastards wouldn't have any idea what they were getting themselves into. He leaned his head back, turning it to Thraah as she prodded at them and smiled.

"Actually, I blew up his piano and ruined his magical peep show. I think you would have liked it, watching all those drooling old men realizing they were pitching tents over another dude's magic and nothing else."

Artesto imagined that their dear Songbird was going to have quite the backlash to deal with from people who thought they were being entertained by living, breathing women. He leaned the chair back on its rear legs, crossing his calf over his knee as he pulled down the hood that had been his only cover. "He's an illusionist. The music is just a front, a way to distract the patrons while he casts a spell over them. It's no wonder the Republic wants him, the way he was milking the gold out of everybody."

Hell, If Silas didn't already have his own woman situation to deal with, and without Garrick's... grounding company, he couldn't be so sure it wouldn't have worked on him too. But then, they had the benefit of proximity. They'd been seated far enough away to see past the exposed flesh and tempting curves that blinded the others.

Zinnia suggested a covered wagon, and Silas nodded along, peeking over at the shy girl from the corner of his vision. She was becomingmore assertive lately, something that he was proud of her for. Zin was sharp as a tack, but had a hard time putting her ideas out there when she was around more dominating personalities.

"Not a bad idea, but I think our little stunt might help us out, too. Word's gonna travel fast that he's a con, and people are going to want to see him brought to justice. Not only is he going to be in one hell of a hurry to bail, but I'd be willing to bet the locals will turn a blind eye to our work now."

Livia Quinnick Zinnia Thraah

Livia's eyes moved to find a face out in the crowd, painted face pointing at Garrick. She cleared her throat, nodding towards the quiet classmate. "Think she is after you. Go. I can find you both if needed." Like hells she was going to question Fennec.

"Trying to get rid of me, Quinnick?"

"You can go tell her you said no, if you would like." She stared him down until he sighed and trudged out from the pub, muttering about how he barely got to order a drink. Livia took his seat, frowning at Silas, Zinnia, and Thraah.

"Right..." Her hand went to play with her braid, the brunette to silver growing starker each month it seemed. She did not know what it meant that the silver was reaching higher, but she allowed the thought to disappear before looking around the table again. "Right, we should secure a wagon."

But then Livia deepened her frown, looking at Silas. She cleared her throat, "Yes... well... if there are others looking for him, then we are going to need to find him first. If words does get out, that will be too many people looking for him and that may impede on our... mission." Not to mention, too many minds with the same intentions would cloud Livia's head, and inevitably give her a searing headache.

She bit her lip,
"That gentleman who was just here... I hold this flyer, and I feel the needle of the compass pull me in two places." Livia pointed her finger, starting in one direction before moving to the near opposite. Then back to the other direction, showcasing how her magic was pulling her in that moment. "They must be connected... and with two directions, I think we ought to split again."

Thraah Zinnia Silas Artesto

"Dibs Silas!"
Thraah blurted jumping to his side and gripping his arm.
"We work well together and I already know he's good and fast. Ain't ya Blondie?"
She very deliberately met Liv's scowl with her own wider than seemed possible smile. The one she used when being smug.
"You can give me another piggie back, the last one was soooo much *fun*!"
It was terrifying and Thraah had nearly strangled Silas as they shot through the rain avoiding many flavours of mage hunting death but she wasn't going to miss a chance to mess with Liv, not when she was so close to cracking Thraah could almost taste it! Irking Silas was also good clean fun.

Livia Quinnick
Silas Artesto
Zinnia
Fennec

• Derp
Reactions: Livia Quinnick