Open Chronicles Miscreants and Miscalculations

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Ace was to first to hear her approach, but he suspected that his companion knew as well. As he walked, he turned his head backwards to look at her, eyes squinting in further suspicion, not turning away until her eyes met his.

Perhaps it was his attempt to express that "he-had-his-eyes-on-her", as he couldn't be sure of her intentions towards them. The canine opened his mouth and gave a wide jaw yawn, in the process revealing his sharp fangs, before turning towards the road forward. Was it a mere yawn? Or was it a threat?....

• Popcorn
Reactions: Maecey
"And she follows..." Erwin said, turning his head to the side but not looking directly at the women behind him, instead looking off to some trees on the side of the road. It was a wonder why, instead of bolting the moment she had left the inn, she was following him down this path. Perhaps it was in the hope that the people from the bar wouldn't follow if they seemed to be in a group...not the Erwin was going to get in to a fight, but...

What a pain.

"...well, we're out of reach now..." The huntsman grunted, abruptly turning to face the following halfing with a tilted look. They had traveled far enough down the road for the inn to now be out of sight. With his long bow in one hand, the man extended his other hand to wave her away. "...now go on...back into the wild with you...shoo, shoo..."

• Cthulhoo rage
"Wow." Maecey said with a roll of her eyes. "That's kind of rude.

In all honesty she probably would have reacted in exactly the same way.

If someone tried to push in on her job she would have drawn her knife, stabbed them, and then left the situation as it were. It was safer that way, and the guild didn't much care how many corpses you left as long as there was no trail.

But she was bored. "Look, I'm here to help."

The Halfling offered.

"Won't even take much of your pay." Maecey continued. "Just enough to pay for a night of sleep somewhere."

She had her own reasons.

"Yeah, and I'm kinda hungry...and I don't know if you realized, but you just deprived us of a meal...." Erwin snorted, a growl erupting from his stomach, as his eyes began to drooped. "...so I guess we're both just peachy, ain't we?"

Hunger wasn't the only reason, that be too petty...it was merely masking the reality; this one was nothing but trouble. Anyone who opted for the blade first was always trouble, and if it can be helped, they oughta be avoided at all costs.

This was why his realm never used mercenaries, too rowdy, too quarrelsome, and brought more trouble then they solved.

"Thanks, but no thanks...I've already have a partner...besides, it's a courier mission...it ain't paying shit to begin with...I'd barely be making a profit if I split the damn change with you..." "The huntsman grunted, picking up his longbow, turning his back in the process. "...now kindly leave...before I start using words that are 'less then kind'..."

• Dab
During the entire exchange, Ace didn't look back once. Instead, he came to a stop, looking forward at the road ahead. At the mention of 'meal', the canine became grumpier. This one had to make a scene when they came in, which was such a bother. Now they had to keep going until they found somthing else, and judging from the smell in the wind, it wouldn't be for another while.

Still, Erwin was affording her more then some kindness, so Ace wouldn't do anything...for now...instead, glancing up at his partner...wondering when they were going to keep going...before looking back ahead at the road ahead.

Ears suddenly perking up, there was somthing...somthing else in the wind...

• Popcorn
The Halfling shrugged.

She had gotten what she wanted out of the man, that being a brief amount of protection from the people who'd wanted to flay her skin off in that Inn. Now that they were past it, she didn't necessarily need the help or the cover.

"Suit yourself." Maecey said as she simply stopped walking, smirking slightly though. "Have fun in the Black Wood!"

The Halfling called. "I'm sure the Bandits will respect your courier job."

It was a taunt, but also a serious warning. The Black Wood was a small grove that had recently been taken over by a bandit chief named Braith. His outfit was crueler than others, and had proven themselves quite tactically sound.

"Oh, so like how you respected that man's throat back there?" Erwin snorted, leaning against his longbow. Bandits, eh? The huntsman didn't know weather the title was suppose to inspire a lack of displine or a lack of hygiene. Least all the bandits that the huntsman has had the displeasure of hunting down always smelled like a pigsty, more often then not. "If they act anything like the way you did, I think I'll be just fine...besides..."

Extending his arms out, a cheeky little grin began to form as he took a step backwards. "I'm a huntsman...the woods are my home turf...if they think they can sneak up on me before either me or Ace here would notice, they're in for a nasty surprise...and it wouldn't be the first time either."

• Popcorn
Ace lifted his nose further as the two exchanged words, sniffing out further the scent in the air. It was certainly coming from down the road, and it was rather...out of place. Nothing too potent at the moment, but somthing to keep an eye, noise, and ear out for.

Sensing the conversation might be a while, the canine would sit himself down, back facing the halfing. Letting out a tired yawn, Ace continued to sit there until the conversation was over...whenever that was. In the mean time, his attention was forward, vigilante at anything that was to approach...

• Popcorn
Maecey laughed. "It's not about surprise you moron."

The Halfling at this point had actually turned to the left and begun to walk off the road into a field. She intended to loop around the forest to the next village and then get passage to her next stop. It would take longer, but be safer.

"Even an elf can't dodge twelve arrows at once." At least not that she'd seen anyway, and she'd seen a lot of elves.

Her eyes rolled as she offered a wave.

Confidence was important, but thinking you could take on more than a dozen bandits with just yourself and your dog was foolish. "But good luck trying!"

"Well, she certainly has a high opinion of her judgment..." Erwin said, looking over to Ace with a raised eyebrow, whom just snorted in response. "...eh, your right...she's still young...one or two times on her ass will teach her better...that is, if she doesn't bite it firsts..."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Taking a bite of the beef jerky, the hunstman rested his head against the back of his tree...as he watched Ace sniff through some of the dead corpses spilling out of the tree lines. It was quite the site on the main road, with bodies littering the nearby forest, arrows or bite marks causing blood to come gushing out of the slowly cooling bodies.

The halfing been right, he couldn't dodge 12 arrows at once; but he didn't need to, they were dead before they had a chance. Ace's noise had picked up on them not too long after the two had departed on their separate ways. They must have been waiting for somebody or somthing important, because they're was easily 15 or so lads waiting in hiding, too bad their natural odars gave them away.

Sure, Erwin could have probably snuck around with little effort, but he

It was a classic tactics that the huntsman of Strojland used: "The Talking Trees Tactics". Hit-and-run at it's finest, great for a smaller force against a larger one. The little skirmish was almost text book gurrilla, which worked in the favor of both him and Ace. It was just easier to coordinate with just him and Ace. It was a simple matter of getting behind one of the flanking bandit groups, before unleashing hell.

Erwin would rapidly loose arrows into the backs of the bandits before re-positioning himself to keep the bandits guessing. Ace blitzed the edges of the group, picking off those whom strayed too far, before retreating back into the cover of the forest. They must have thought it had been an entire group attacking them, as their constantly wailing made it clear that they were trying to figure out the numbers, when in reality it was just one man and his dog.

It was why they paid him the big bucks...and why they often sent him into the most dangerous of situations...so it was a give or take.

Both Erwin and Ace were able to kill off more then half the bandits, with the rest turning tail and running in a panic. Neither bothered pursing; those running were no threat, and it sent a clear message to the rest. More often then not, persistent action against bandits often deteriorated their moral and would cause them to splinter, making it easier to counter.

Bandits really did rely on the element of surprise and even numbers, a matter that Erwin had dedicated a surprisingly large amount of time to; flushing bandits out of the forest, right into the arms of waiting soldiers.

It was the environment that they nestled into that made them so hard to really route out. They relied on the same hit-and-run tactics as Erwin and his lot used, though Erwin and the brigade often had home field advantage. But the opposite was also true. The killing blow of any odd bandit group was more often then not their lair. Only place they really had to centralize if they wanted an extensive operation. but it made fighting them easier when they had to stand and fight. They might have looked tough and macho, but they couldn't compare toe to toe to a trained and well armed soldier, else they wouldn't have turned to banditry in the first place.

The poor and the desperate turned to banditry, Erwin thought as he rested against the tree, that and the cruel...cruel and the dim...and the ones who had terrible parents...always a fun combination...

Ace was sniffing through the bodies, making sure that they were properly dead. It was never necessarily a fun thing to do, but it was somthing that was necessary after every battle. Check for survivors and do what one must, weather it be friend or foe....although most, if not all, the bodies that Ace had come across were dead.

Perhaps a good thing, it may have been a hassle to carry any survivors to the near by village.

Speaking of, said village was actually now in view from where the two of them were. They were more or less out of this part of the woods, and coming across a relatively large plain with a few houses in the middle.

Probably a good place to get an actual meal, rather then the snack pack survivor food that Erwin had taken off the dead bodies.

Ace put his noise back to the ground, sniffing about further, making sure they had made things as clean as it could be. Of course, whilst Erwin rested, both man and dog were still vigilant to their surroundings. Any moment now, the acquaintances that ran off earlier might bring more friends...which was honestly just be annoying...