Private Tales Rapscallions and Assassins

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Muirin

Gentleman, Scoundrel, Bastard
Character Biography
Link
Same as usual, Muirin was travelling on behalf of a bounty.

This time in particular, the call of gold brought him just about as far as he'd ever gone before. He had visited Cerak At'thul thrice during his career as a mercenary, but two of those occasions were more for pleasure. This fourth trip, however, was all business. The scoundrel of a man had it on good faith that a runaway assassin fled across the seas after killing some noble's brat, no doubt trying to lay low until the flames of 'justice' died down. Muirin, however, was never one to be dissuaded by distance, and the price for this woman's head was more than enough to feed his vices for a good few months. Just this once, the law would have his service-- Just so long as the pay stayed good enough.

He'd arrived at the docks early in the morning, glad to have left the nip of early autumn back in the North where he'd left a few weeks before. The mercenary's nose nearly turned up at the sights that greeted him in the shipyards. Smugglers he could handle, and he'd served on more than a few pirate crews in his day, but the man had at least some shred moral fiber left. It must have been this sliver of decency that bothered him, then, because something about slavers churned his insides. It took a concentrated force of will to avoid gutting any of the spineless subjugators on his way into town.

To his knowledge, the assassin had been working as something of a translator for the past few months, and it only took him a few minutes worth of asking around to find out where she was likely hiding. After all, people tend to be forthcoming when you seem desperate, and his lie about translating a love letter from a young elven maiden was rather convincing. The brutish man strolled casually up an ill-maintained road, once more referring to the description he'd written in a small, leather-bound journal. Slender, dark hair, dark eyes... Exactly his type, but, sadly, this trip was all business. He slipped the journal back into his jacket as he approached her supposed place of residence, thumping his large fist twice against the door in a half-polite knock.

Yvette Leroux

• Yay
Reactions: Yvette Leroux
Yvette got up for the third time from the letter as yet another disturbing line revealed itself to her. She had been translating vulgar love letters for weeks now but this one was just too much. If she had the means she would have refused this job straight away, but her rent was due soon and the woman who ran the boarding complex was less than forgiving. She pushed the paper aside and not for the first time she greatly missed the civility of Alliria. For years she had believed herself to be a woman strong of mind but Cerak at'Thul was testing her more than she would have liked.

After tying her hair in a loose knot she walked over to the meager stone hearth against the back wall. She carefully dipped one of the only two pieces of ceramic she owned, a deep gray bowl, into the pot of boiling water over the fire. Careful not to burn herself she poured a small bit of honey into the water, stirred it thoroughly and took a sip. God she missed tea. Just like most things here however, it wasn't worth the expense. She let he mind wander to thoughts of home. If Christine had been here, she thought, She would have tried to make it out to be some grand adventure. Yvette smiled and glanced over to the ever growing pile of her own love letters situated neatly on her windowsill.

As she sipped her "tea" a firm knock filled the quite room with a sudden jolt of sound. She jumped, startled, and spilled a bit of the drink on herself. Cursing under her breath she wiped it away as best as she could before opening the door. She was greeted by a large human man, a scowl across his face. He was not the strangest person who had come knocking at her door however, and the sense of decorum drilled into her from childhood was difficult to abandon. She smiled warmly.

"Good morning sir, Did you need something from me?"

• Yay
Reactions: Muirin
Muirin put on his best embarrassed smile as he heard footsteps approaching the door, slumping his shoulders just slightly in a sheepish gesture. The edges of his eyes crinkled slightly as the door opened, all in all forming a decently convincing display that he was quite troubled that he had to seek her out in the first place.

"Ye', actually-- I heard you're the one t' seek out for translation. I do hope I have the right home, is all."

The man cut an all around intimidating figure in the doorway, standing half a foot taller than Yvette with the broad shoulders of a practiced brawler. His jacket did little to hide his musculature, held tighter about his waist to emphasize his boxy frame. A cutlass hung tightly at his hip, tied into its scabbard with a length of twine. The dagger in his belt, however, seemed perfectly able to be pulled on a moment's notice, and the other knives hidden around his body were similarly ready to be used. It can be safely said that despite his best efforts to appear meek and embarrassed, he's still abundantly at home in the Cerak At'Thul area.

"Just have a love note, 's all. Might I come in?"

His hands wrung loosely in front of him in yet another sheepish gesture, though his eyes remained just a little bit cold, calculating the woman on the door's other side. She didn't seem like the type to kill a nobleman, but, hey, the point of being an assassin is that no one would suspect you until it's too late. He'd need to be ready for anything, just in case she tried to take him out before he could draw on her.

• Yay
Reactions: Yvette Leroux
"You certainly have the right place, and I am more than happy to help you with your note!"

There was something familiar to Yvette about the man, not that she particularly recognized him, but the way his eyes didn't quite reach his expression reminded her strongly of the nobility she had served for well over half of her life. She paused for a brief moment noting his visible weaponry before stepping back from the door and welcoming him inside. Very recently she would never have even opened the door for a man like him, but she was desperate and he did not look half as dangerous as most of her clients.

"Well, you've come to me at the perfect time. I usually do my best work in the morning." She said as she approached her desk to clear away her previous work. "I do apologize for the mess as well, I usually have everything put away but I just haven't been myself as of late." She gestured towards the chair across from her as she sat as she continued to speak, barely taking a breath between sentences. "Please close the door if you would and- Oh! how rude of me, would you like some tea? Well it's not really tea, honey water, but it's still quite nice."

She swiftly stood up and made her way towards the hearth before turning back to him once more "I know-"
Suddenly her face flushed bright pink "Oh my, I'm rambling aren't I? I'm so sorry, I haven't even introduced myself. You may call me Yvette, what shall I call you?"

• Yay
Reactions: Muirin
Muirin passed through the door as he was welcomed in, giving a polite bow of his head as he broke the threshold of Yvette's temporary home. He listened carefully as the woman spoke, hoping to find any crack in her facade. After all, a hired killer wouldn't be this polite-- And he would know, really, because he'd been one. The door swung carefully shut behind Muirin as the woman turned to manage her desk, as if an errant breeze had pushed it closed upon his entry.

She gestured towards a seat across from her, and the man took it, knees creaking just faintly. Her acting skills must have been superb to have gotten in close to a noble family, and they wouldn't have dulled too much during her months in hiding. She'd almost convinced the scoundrel of her innocence before he'd even had the chance to accuse her. Almost.

No sooner than he'd taken his seat did the woman abandon hers, crossing to the room's measly fire and talking all the way. She turned russet, then, and decided that she'd better introduce herself after all her 'rambling'. Muirin gave her a wide smile, and for some reason or another, this one managed to reach his eyes.

"Name's Muirin, friend, and y'can call me such if ya' like." He fixed her with a point, then, expression turning curious. "Actually, you seem familiar-- Don't s'pose I'd know you from Alliria, would I?" It was a lie, of course. He hadn't been to Alliria in months, and he certainly hadn't been around anyone noble during his stay. But if she had some reaction to being asked, then he'd know for sure if she had something to hide.