Open Chronicles Rough Jewels and Jagged Blades

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Anton

Anton Valarr pulled up on the reigns, getting his horse-drawn caravan to stop right he needed to be. Just outside a wide tunnel deep into the mountain. A few lanterns every ten feet ahead into the tunnel to light the way through the dark. His horse pawed at the ground, ears swiveling about and snorting constantly. The horse was not very comfortable in the dark. And this was also underground. With a snap of the reigns, Anton got the horse to move on, into the tunnel. This tunnel was carved out by the Unrali. Better known as Mole Dwarves. It showed with how jagged some of the edges of the tunnel were, sharply cut. Such as their craftwork was, rough yet made with a sharp eye.

Humming aloud to himself, Anton traveled further within, through the dark maw of this mountain. Many things were no doubt hiding in the shadows, only kept back by the few lanterns. Anton had a ways to go even now. Anton knew how aggressive these Dwarves could be. Perhaps a band of mercenaries would have been a good idea to help out...just in case. He did hire one guard at the very least. And there was also a possibility of bandits or others that would have wished to steal the many merchandise that he had to sell. The deeper in he went, the more Anton was watching out for movement of anything that dared to cross his path. It wouldn't even be hard to take the poor elf on, even.

seogsa

The long-haired, narrow-eyed swordsman followed the short elf on his own mount, rather closely at that. He wore a long knee-length shawl that covered the set of two swords he wore on his waist, one shorter than the other. A hankyu, a short bow originating from his homeland, hung from one side of his saddle. A quiver of arrows hung from the opposite side.

The elven merchant pulled his horse-drawn wagon into the tunnel without hesitation. Kishou first stopped and gave the surroundings behind them a thorough sweep before following. He pulled his horse up the side of the wagon.

Brows furrowed as he glanced back again, “Enclosed space, only two directions. Ideal spot to ambush a merchant.”

Anton continued to hum his little tune aloud. He looked rather calm, even with the possibility of an ambush. The elf was doing just fine with how high these chances were, he had one guard! He was most confident indeed. Anton paused his humming, glancing over to his single swordsman that kept close to his wagon.

"The Dwarves may try if they wish to, but they will not want to damage what we have to sell" Anton assured. But of course, there were always the off chance some may try to strike. As well as other races that may have trailed them, other non-Dwarvish bandits. Or even beasts of the mountains looking for a light snack.

"If we can make it to the end of this tunnel, to the small Mole Dwarf outpost ahead we will be safe. Defense is their strong point...of course, getting out will also be troublesome, wouldn't you agree?" The risk only added to the sense of adventure. As well as the feelings he will get once he got all the coin that all this was worth.
seogsa

• Sip
Reactions: childish brandino
A wry smile stretched his cheeks, “I’d rather things not resort to violence.”

He leaned back in his saddle as their horses trot along. Mole Dwarves. Kishou had never encountered any, as far as he knew. Far were they from the conflicts of men, which Kishou knew very well. For a majority of his life, all he knew was war. Wherever there was conflict, the odds of finding the strange foreigner wandering the field of battle was high. To those with the sense for it, they would find the stench of a killer to be particularly strong around Kishou.

Though, long ago were his days of insatiable bloodlust. Now he appears only as a man in strange garbs with even stranger swords at his side. A wisened warrior, if one could tack on wisdom to those with a propensity for life-taking.

“I asked few questions upon my hiring,” He began to speak again, “Out of consideration for making the process convenient for you. What wares do you carry to this secluded area?”

• Popcorn
Reactions: Anton
Anton gave a glance over to his hired guard. Not wanting violence? "I did not realize I hired a pacifist monk" the elf stated as he turned back to face the front. And one with a sword? Maybe he did hire the wrong kind....but then again, Anton was sure he did get the right kind of guard. Better than some brute that wanted to kill anything living. Not good for business.

"Jewels and metals sold to me by merchants in trade. These Dwarves will very much enjoy making new trinkets of their own, either to keep or trade off. Metals they can't get in this mountain, for an example. They'll pay a hefty price, yet aren't so picky. Compared to normal Dwarves" Anton muttered the last part, as if he had experienced enough of picky Dwarves over what jewels he had and how crude they were.

Somewhere ahead, there was a brighter source of light. And the silhouette of what looked to be a gate and a wall that filled the bottom half of this long cavern. "Ahead, the outpost. These trade outposts are about as close as most will be allowed to get. They don't like nosy thieves."

seogsa

• Wonder
Kishou chuckled. Of all manner of things he has been called, monk was a first. He was through-and-through killer, no doubt, but to the swordsman, mastery of his craft would be in not having to draw the sword at all. He walked a strange path of enlightenment and learning.

"I see," He responded, "Wares can be sold to any. To travel to such a remote area, do you have other motivations?"

He quickly corrected himself, "I apologize if my questions pry too deeply."

As the pair rode up to the outpost, Kishou mentally prepared himself for the worst, yet his outward appearance did not reflect his focused resolve.

"Hm," He mused aloud, "Ostensibly, we do not reflect the image of nosy thieves. I surmise we will be fine."

• Dab
Anton clutched up on the reigns to bring the cart to a slower approach for the outpost. "They can be sold anywhere. But you see, Dwarves around pride themselves in their creations. So they will pay handsomely. And these Mole Dwarves will take things other Dwarves will not, to make creations they pride themselves in." Just like their skin, they were rough.

The elf smiled, and dared to chuckle a bit. "Pry all you want, I have nothing to hide. Normal Dwarves are just too picky for me. They will take what I have in their hands five times for each item before deciding they don't want it...at least, those I have met." Then again, Anton did venture among the richly invested often.

"You do not know Mole Dwarves. They pride their creations, and guard them." Looking to the gate, Anton pulled the cart to a stop. "Hail, those who stand guard! We come with goods to trade!" Anton quickly glanced to Kishou, "They will be a moment."

The parapet in front of them was not particularly large. That being said, it was short enough that Kishou would be able to leap and grab hold of the top if he so desired.

He made sure to cover the pair of blades on his hip with his long shawl. Would they be so protective, brandishing such inconspicuous swords wouldn’t serve his employer well.

Kishou cast one last glance down the path they came. “I take it you have done business with them before?”

Anton waited at the foot of the gate, his horse standing patiently. The gate made no movement. "Yes, I have. They take their time, they like to watch those on the outside, observe them. To make sure they mean well" Anton explained to Kishou. After the explanation was done, the Dwarves chose now to open up the gate.

It opened slowly, creaking loudly as it did so. And there stood a pair of armored Mole Dwarves, armor looking dented from scuffles and scratched from blades hitting against them. "Dwellers of the mountains! I come bearing trade! Many metals and gems from far!" Their eyes seemed to glimmer with curiosity and interest at that. Standing aside, but were there ready to lead them along, as necessary.

• Yay
The dwarves that stood under Kishou were rather unusual in appearance. Stony skin, with strangely colored eyes. The swordsman brought a hand up to his chin and stroked it in thought.

Interesting.

The hired guard remained silent and let his employer work his charms. The interest they showed in response to the merchant's pitch was also interesting. He had expected the dwarves to come off as more abrasive, maybe even hostile. Kishou followed Anton closely as the merchant made his way into the hold, past the guards that stood aside.

Anton glanced over the stone-like Dwarves. Stout and tough, in more ways than one. Strong willed, strong armed, they were quite the little fighter to be sure. But when it came to foreign materials to make works of art from? They were quick to make a friend of. And Anton had a way with words, sometimes using a spot of magic into the mix. Just not this time.

"We are doing better than last time" Anton murmured to his companion. "Last time they had a recent attack on them by thieves. Almost lost my head, had I not shown them what I had."

seogsa

• Yay
"Worry not," The aged swordsman chuckled, "Your body will not be rid of your head today."

Not that Kishou expected any violence. They seemed excited. He could be daring enough to say happy to see the merchant.

Arms folded across his chest as he watched the little folk peruse Anton's wares. A small smile broke the foreigner's stoic demeanor.

"They are an interesting people."

Anton could not help but chuckle in return. No, these Dwarves wouldn't take off his head, surely. They wanted what he had, and he was willing to trade. It was no insult to them to want to give away such things, even if it were for a price. The wagon pulled on forth through the outpost, with Anton giving small waves and a smile. All a show.

They arrived to one of the buildings towards the middle, a forge. It was the best spot to sell these goods, so they could put it straight to use. Hopping down, Anton began to unload his many goods.

seogsa

• Yay
Kishou, too, dismounted. In the process of doing so, his cloak opened to expose the two swords at his side. The dwarves, contrary to the mercenary’s expectations, showed a keen interest in his unique blades.

A few gathered around the swordsman, peeking around each other to catch a glimpse. Kishou pulled the longer of his two swords from his sash and offered the sheathed blade to them to hold and inspect. The blade’s craftsmanship was exquisite, and was forged with a technique unseen on the mainland.

Leaving the dwarves to appraise his valuable belonging, he turned to help Anton unload his wares.

• Yay
Anton had to smirk slightly, spying the dwarves coming around his hired guard. They had a fascination with weapons and armor over jewels and crowns. So, he could not blame them for showing such appreciation for his blades. The elf merely began his work. Collecting coins for his wares. Making bids, but nothing too competitive.

He did not want them to start a small conflict over all that he had. "Things seem calm today. Good for business" Anton said to his guard.

seogsa

• Yay
"Good," Kishou rested close by, leaning against the wagon's wheel with folded arms. The foreigner was genuinely pleased for the merchant. He mostly watched the dwarves as business was conducted, his side feeling weightless from the absence of his sword. Surprisingly heavy is iron saturated with blood. A burden on the mind and soul, indeed.

"The world is vast. Not that I am a scholar by any means, but from the reading I have done, no text has ever mentioned these folk." He unfolded one arm to make a subtle gesture towards the dwarves. It quickly tucked itself back into place. "This is a good experience."

• Yay
The elfish trader had all the goods he wanted out ready to be seen by now, still selling off what remained to be sold. He had doubts he would sell it all. But that just meant more product for elsewhere, at least he thought this. "They hide away. They stay deep in the mountains, and are rarely spoken of...they are also confused with Golems, would you believe?" Anton asked, with some humor in his tone.

"It is always a good experience to meet such hearty folk, always interested in whatever one holds to sell" Anton said while selling off a sword with a couple jewels in the hilt. The dwarves would no doubt sharpen the blade, make it more to their liking.

seogsa

While Kishou conversed with the merchant, one of the dwarfs returned with his sword. It may have been the one that originally took it, but if he were to be frank, he would not be able to identify them. Their unique appearance made it difficult for him to tell the difference. He could also see how those ignorant to the Dwarve's existence could mistake them for some type of humanoid beast.

"It does seem that way," He took his sword back with a smile and slight bow to the dwarf.

"You must make quite the profit from coming here. I can't imagine many traders know of and would venture here."

"Truly, not many do venture this way. These Dwarves? They can be quite the danger to strangers. I am only just lucky enough to have gotten to know them." Of course, there was also more to it than just that. The very items he traded tended to gain their attention. They came to him.

Anton continued to pass along well made antiquities and sharpened blades for them. Eventually, the trade was done. Now that the deal was done, well...they had to go. Anton signaled for partner to get saddled up and moving. Another trade done well....

seogsa