Knights of Anathaeum The Step Taken

Threads open to all members of the Knights of Anathaeum group
Character Biography
Link
Today was the beginning of the rest of her life.​

How grandiose of a statement for how little fanfare greeted the start of it; the day's idle humming of birdcall hardly did justice to the tumultuous years leading to her arrival at the gates of the Astenvale Monastery. The abode of misfits and hedge knights. No surprise then that she should find herself surrendered to their custody so that they could help see the young squire through the remainder of her tutelage, something that was initially entrusted to their household knight.

No great expectations of a lofty greeting from either party, nor the endless droning of oath swearing and retelling of old, feeble traditions, but merely the polite deference probably afforded to even the lowliest visitor arriving upon their threshold. She was not an idiot, there was no doubt in her mind that she may have very well played a part in the subdued introductions; the fashion in which she arrived was not exactly an inspiring one.

There she stood at their gates with an expression that spoke volumes of her ambivalence, while her instructor for the past year muttered the customary platitudes in a foreign tongue, though it was one she knew almost as well as her own. By the side of Ayl-Maltene Ranna Anakanos, Sitra was hardly all that inspirational of a presence in comparison.

Not to a knightly order who likely put more value in the former's confidence and platemail as opposed to the latter's undoubtedly expensive attire and... as was said, a face that spoke volumes. At the moment she was much too busy musing her farewells to a life of freedom to wipe the grimace from her lips.

Nonetheless, she could not deny the majesty of her new home - austere and replete with a certain rustic simplicity as it was - there was an undeniable dignity to it. Even the most oppressive places could have the charm that came with being a hallowed institution, and who better fit that description than the Astenvale Monastery, from 'neath the shade of the Eldyr tree? They had songs about it once, and she even knew a few, but she also knew that they were no longer sung anywhere of significance.

Hence, the face speaking volumes.

Sitra was so busy recklessly plowing forward that she hadn't stopped once to contemplate what lay ahead, and so finally took the time to evaluate her surroundings with something bordering on interest; the ennui in her eyes no longer so grave. For a moment she even gave breath to lungs starved of hope, watching the proceedings as she was transferred from one jailor to another with what might be considered enthusiasm. Not that it was all that impressive of a display of emotion, really. As a matter of fact it was a pathetic, quickly fleeting thing.

And yet it was the first time in a long while that she dared to hope.

"This is where we must part, dear girl. At least for a little while. Have you all you need?"

"I think I'll be quite alright, oma. You forget that this is not the first time I've left my family without supervision, after all."

"You're an impertinent thing, do you know that?" Ranna's riposte was vague, and Sitra didn't dare wonder if it was because she referred to the knight as grandmother, or the oblique references to her previous escapades. It could easily be both.

"So they've told me. But all the same, you need not fret over me so much. Truly. You understand more than most what this step means to me and my willingness to take it." The smile on Sitra's face was modest, but sincere. She didn't smile all that often and so couldn't quite manage anything more beyond the demure. She pushed herself away from her horse so that she could reach forward to entwine her hand around Ranna's own, in a final gesture of affection. The knight now comfortably astride her mount in preparation of departure. "You need not worry about the wild child any longer, you've done more than enough for me."

She seemed to pause after the compliment, mentally chewing over the words before her face subtly twisted; disentangling her hand as gracefully as she could from the knight's comforting grasp as if she'd caught herself doing something she didn't like doing. Which she did. She was most definitely not a toucher, something her companion knew well enough judging by the wry smile that graced Ranna's cracked lips. Most others would probably be a little offended, to say the least.

"And so I thank you for everything, especially for tolerating my selfishness in these past years. Without your tutelage I rather doubt I'd be taking this step at all, nor would I have had the confidence to do so. And... that is all I have, I think."

Ranna couldn't help but to laugh, genuine amusement flitting across her face at the awkward display of emotions. Not unkindly, mind you, but they both knew that dealing with her feelings was never one of Sitra's strong points. Something that had caused them both a great deal of trouble over the years, even as the girl made monumental efforts since then to improve on it.

That part of her training was a little less of a success than their other regimens.

"Oh, right. Please do give my parents my warmest regards when you see them next. Tell them that I will write to them when I can, as well as to Uncle Radenne. Tell them..." that I regret a number of things, "that they need not worry about me here, for I intend to bring nothing but pride to them. They may not believe it otherwise, I imagine."

All it took to silence the young squire's rambling was a firm pat on her head from Ranna's elevated position as she leaned over in her saddle, knowing that this might very well be the last and final time she'd be able to do so. When next they met it could be as equals, and the child would be a child no more. It was a bittersweet fact of life, yet one she had long since come to understand; the girl's insistence on being treated as anything but had made it abundantly clear.

"I'll be certain to tell them, not that they don't already know."

"You really don't have to walk me to the gate, oma."

***​

That was yesterday, however. Today was the beginning of the rest of her life.

Sitra didn't know what to make of it, at first glance. The Astenvale Monastery was a rather unassuming place, hidden from nearly all eyes of civilization beyond a few paltry villages dotted around the forested countryside. To match it, she quickly found that the dormitories were equally unassuming, bereft of a great deal of creature comforts that she was accustomed to after all her twenty years.

She could at least say that the beds weren't entirely intolerable, though it was one of the few virtues she could discover upon first glance.

And of course, the day's idle humming of birdcall was again to be the young squire's fanfare, causing her to blink and shift in affirmation that it was indeed morning. Then, without missing a beat, she proceeded to throw herself into the newly creased sheets - catching the majority of the impact with a face made swollen by sleep - and permitted herself a few more precious seconds in the place she'd so blissfully dreamed moments before.

There was a surprising dearth of activity after she'd arrived, at least initially.

Aside from the oath swearing and initial walkthrough of where she'd be spending most of her time for the foreseeable future, the bulk of the next few days were spent in relative isolation while they seemingly figured out what to do with their latest squire. And so she did what she did best - haunt the premises like a ghostly apparition. At first she spent her time finding appropriate stables for the thoroughbred gelding that had served as her complacent mount for the past several months, then came the less arduous task of finding where she wasn't allowed, before rooting around the places she was allowed.

Which she did, of course, with commendable enthusiasm. Even going so far as to wander far enough to an old well on the outskirts of the grounds, lured by the noise of squires doing things they shouldn't be doing. Rather than chiding them, she instead placed coins in coinless hands and watched fascinated while an absurd amount of money was thrown down the dark abyss, quickly learning that it was a tradition of sorts.

She was not blind to the fact that some simply pocketed the change, yet said nothing.

Information was a valuable currency, and Sitra considered it a bribe well spent for what she learned from children with lips loosened by her generous tribute. Not all of it was relevant. Indeed, most of it was the mundane gossip that permeated practically every tightknit community from one end of the continent to the other. All the same she tucked it away for future reference; not knowing if who was buggering who would ever be particularly useful to her, but she was prudent enough not to casually toss aside such tidbits. You never really know.

Eventually as the hours turned to days she had finally run out of places to go and pliable young minds to pry information from, now choosing to walk the gardens in the hope of catching a particular someone coming and going from any of the outlying buildings.

That she had family in residence was something she was already made aware of, but had not caught a glimpse of the elusive Bebin Theros since stepping foot in this place. Wondered briefly if he existed at all, even. Although she had asked to that effect and was in turn assured that yes, such a person did exist. And no, they didn't know where he was right now.

On a mission, perhaps?

With no further leads to follow, Sitra Vené Tanyakoettir discovered an inconspicuous place to sit amidst the overgrown flora that seemed to threaten at any moment to climb up and over the squire in order to claim the seat she'd just taken. Not that she terribly minded the encroaching overgrowth, finding the isolation a nice change of pace to the madness of the multi-roomed dormitories and accepting that it came with a few weeds that might contest with her peace and quiet.

There she sat, waiting. She wore an approximation of the same outfit that she came to Astenvale with - an elegant doublet, blouse, and plain breeches this time. Not exactly an inspiring mix-up, but the idea of stockings and long, pleated skirts outside of the rare occasion that she was given a moment of freedom from the increasingly expanding list of chores was soon abandoned.

Somehow she doubted it would improve as the days wandered into weeks.

Before she was carried away entirely with life in this place, she would have liked to hear the wisdom of a cousin she'd met only once. To ask the questions that begged to be asked, at least from her. And who knows? Perhaps she'd find something in common with her own blood, however removed they might've been by time and ties.

Then again, probably not. There were... more than a few differences between the two.

Last edited:
Today was just like any other day.

With no mission to occupy his time, he spent his down time wandering the Monastery, talking to strangers and friends and people who weren't sure how they felt about him. His smile never left his face either way, and his strut never faltered.

As he was walking through the gardens, he thought he heard a sigh from within a patch of overgrown flaura and foliage. He paused, nailing it with his stare, and he thought he saw someone through the leaves. They were in an area secluded from the main building, away from the squires and knights. Most likely, whoever was hiding amongst the flowers wanted to be left alone.

But Julian couldn't help himself.

"Hello there," he said, taking the last few steps to the girl's hiding place, and parting a few branches, so that he could see her fully. He didn't think he had seen her before, and his memory was quite spectacular if he did say so himself. He knew nearly everyone who lived within the Monastery. "You knew here?" His voice was kind and friendly. Good first impressions were key, after all.

Sitra

Last edited:
Sitra wasn't feeling too disheartened about her lack of success thus far in spotting her intended target, for it was still early in the day. And while the discovery of her cousin would have been a wonderful development, it was only one of two reasons why she decided to spend her free time in the gardens, well away from prying eyes and ears. The other reason was rather more immaterial; it had nothing to do with anything except her own peace of mind.

Now that she'd settled into an easy rhythm of life in the monastery and established some semblance of a routine, it was simply nice to carve out a quiet moment for herself from time to time. To sit and contemplate all that she'd accomplished that day, perhaps to set aside an hour where she might be allowed to meditate on whatever thoughts or anxieties or triumphs that plagued her thoughts. Anything really. Or nothing at all.

So long as she could sit in peace and quiet for a while, it mattered not where she let her mind wander.

Her first week or so at the Astenvale Monastery was draining, to say the least.

No surprise that she found it to be an unexpectedly pleasant experience to finally get the opportunity to collect herself amidst the tangles and blooms of the monastery's overgrown gardens. Her head was as sore as her body, and had no qualms in admitting that a place to retreat after the morning's studies and afternoon's chores was a thing that she dearly coveted.

And until the clatter of footsteps steered her thoughts back to reality, she had indeed been enjoying her privacy. Much like a cat basking in the warmth of the afternoon's rays, her reaction had been equally as languid in how she addressed the intruder; her one eye opening against the glare of the sunlight so that she might better assess the vague, unfocused shadow of the knight standing before her. Well, someone who she would soon establish as a knight, but for now he was nothing more than an obstacle that blotted out her precious moments of reverie.

Despite the man being little more than a black smudge against the backdrop of the sun's unforgiving gaze, she immediately discerned that he was tall. Taller than she was, and that all he wore was a simple pair of tunic and trousers rather than the robes of one of her instructors. She was thankful for that much, at least.

The next thing she learned was that he spoke in an easy, casual way. Good first impressions indeed.

"Hello," was her subdued introduction that mirrored Julian's own, still very much grappling with the sudden disruption to her dazed daydreaming. At first she was barely audible over the white noise of the birdcall overhead, then she cleared her throat made quiet by inactivity. "I am new to this place, yes. I believe it's been... a few days at most since I arrived? Time can become a bit difficult to count when you have so little of it to call your own."

When she'd finally shook the weariness from limbs left idle, her fingers reached up to tuck away at any loose bangs she knew must've been blocking her face from the strangers view. She hadn't bothered to put her hair up into its usual caul since, again, privacy. And with all her fussing with stray hairs, she hadn't yet told the stranger her name; rather more intent on grooming herself into a state that wouldn't be described as 'bedraggled'.

She promptly remedied that.

"My name is Sitra Vené Tanyakoettir, Syr. I apologize for not introducing myself sooner, but you seem to have caught me at a bad time. I was just in the middle of my meditations." Sitra couldn't help but to sabotage her sense of formality with an amused retelling of the truth; she was more busy soaking in the sun rather than meditating, and it was hardly a bad time since she was presently in the middle of doing precisely nothing of importance. Sitting. Realizing that her arse was sore from suffering the marbled bench for god knows how long.

"Might I ask for yours?"

The way she said it was with a natural and simple curiosity, albeit a little reserved. She was just now catching his stare with her own, examining the young man's features for any indication of who he might've been - presumably another squire - but then again perhaps not, since she knew comparatively little of the people living here as opposed to Julian's claim of knowing nearly everyone.

Her almond eyes remained steady, nearly unflinching, upon the stranger that stood from beneath the trailing branches he had parted earlier. Not quite certain just yet whether to consider him friend or foe, she took no chances of tearing her gaze away.

Although it was true that they hadn't gotten off on the best foot so far, if her brows furrowed in a mild kind of exasperation was any sign. As to how much of it was because of Julian's presence was anyone's guess. Thankfully a good bit of it could probably be blamed on the blinding sun; the temptation to simply close her eyes against the world again was intense.

But because she was polite, she didn't do that. Even for intruders jumping out of bushes.

Last edited:
Julian's smile never slipped, even as Sitra seemed less than excited by his presence.

"Julian Benavide, knight of Dawn, at your service," he replied, performing a little bow with a hand on his chest.

"I'm sorry for interrupting your meditations- I can leave you to it if you'd rather be alone," he added, straightening, returning his gaze to hers.

Everything about her seemed firm, and almost threatening, as if she were daring him to do something stupid. He had to admit, he was rather tempted, just to see how she would react. But that wouldn't lend him any favor, especially since she already seemed a bit prickly.

Her dark hair hung loose around her face, and he did not miss her attempt to straighten and smooth it down. Her eyes were dark and brooding, and he was tempted to compliment her appearance which she seemed uncertain about, but he didn't because he thought it might come off as insincere. And if he was anything, it was sincere.

Sitra

The smile that had been forming after her excuse of sunny meditations underwent a rather sudden growth spurt at the idea that her jest had been taken with deadly seriousness. Or maybe he was just exceedingly polite. Either way, Sitra certainly looked to Julian with eyes anew when he offered of his own volition to grant the solitude she'd previously enjoyed by taking his leave, all the while carrying that same smile he'd possessed since first their paths crossed.

The Dawn Knight's tact most certainly helped soften the blow of their initial introduction, not to mention how she was feeling a little guilty about her failure to properly convey that she wasn't serious about him interrupting her uneventful, lazy morning. To that effect, the words that left her mouth next were a little more encouraging, and maybe even a little contrite if her obviously puckish expression was anything to go by.

Her face was still scrunched up, however. But that was lessening by the second as her eyes adjusted.

"Please think nothing of it, this is a place open to everyone and I have no intention of stealing it away as my own personal hideaway. And I can hardly tell an initiated knight that he may not walk his own gardens." At the very least she was now making an obvious attempt at matching his smile with a similarly reassuring one of her own, and did so with a natural, perfectly-executed ease; in large part because the social prowess learned by courtesans was also learned by nobility, as both roles had plenty of reasons to occasionally flatter another person with a smile or two. "Besides, I imagine that I'll have plenty of opportunities to visit these grounds in the future, when I wish for respite."

Not that she wasn't looking for respite at the moment, but her concentration had already been vanquished by the amiable, curious knight that had decided to initiate a conversation with her. There was nothing to be done about that now. Also, Sitra wouldn't lie to herself about the fact that she was a little curious as well, for she'd met so few actual knights and was slowly coming around to the idea of learning more about this man.

She couldn't exactly shoo away a Knight of Dawn, either.

"But I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, Syr Julian, truly. I have not put many names to faces yet, so I'm happy to know one more."

Sitra wasn't lying in that regard, few of the inhabitants in the monastery had put their names to the faces she'd seen passing to and fro the different buildings as she went about her business as a squire, and she couldn't quite blame them; her own experience was one of little rest until the evenings, made all the more tiring when she took on the additional responsibility of being her mount's primary caretaker. Sneaking into the stables when she could to see to her gelding's grooming and feeding, while also making sure upon her first day here to carefully lather down its legs, spent after the long journey to Astenvale.

As she adjusted how she sat on the dreadfully uncomfortable bench, she took the opportunity to cross her legs and rest her elbow on the new surface. Her hand coming to cradle the side of her cheek as she awaited his reply with expectant, inviting eyes. She'd already talked long enough and was more than happy to let this Julian take the reins of the conversation, curious as to what he was curious about.

The invitation in her eyes could no doubt be translated to amused suspicion as well, but she left that unvoiced.

Last edited:
It was all a dream.

His hair short, his beard but scruff. A field of green before him. The mist of the morning that clung and crept across the night cooled needles of the chir pines. Still heavy with beads that shimmered like jewels along their run. Skirted tall sentinels that watched over the land, long before there was any brick baked beneath the sun and laid against the earth.

They burned too.

His eyes came open beneath the surface. The viscous liquid in his lungs. Drowned and buoyed his breath all the same.

zaicon-50 (3).jpg"Word is, " Syr Iramene said idly, as his hands flipped through reports. Stopped on one particular piece of parchment. Brow knit together. "she arrives today," he set the page down beside a fresh one, grabbed up a quill, and began to scratch out notations.

Bebin was not sat far. Hunched over, at a bench as his wide back rose and fell with steadying breaths. Their rythms almost synced with the laps of the luminous fluid that pooled within the Nymphaeum's tanks.

Iramene stopped his scratching. Eyes peered up, cautious as he hung over the parchment at his desk. "She's your... relative?"

"Cousin's child," he said, almost a cough, went back to his breaths. Slow. Steady. Full.

"Second cousin then," Iramene went on, eyes flit down to his writings. He scratched a few more.

"So you would call them, yes,"

"And you?"

"Bhatiji,"

Iramene's made a quiet sound. Like the shift of air as scales dipped and raised. "You'll see her then?"

"When the time is right,"

Another scratch of the quill. "Of course,"

"Well, Medicant,"
Bebin probed,

Iramene's pen came to stop. Tapped. His
eyes flicked up. "Well," he started. Eased back into the old wood of his chair. Expression measured. "A bit of rest would do you some good, Theros,"

A nod. "Of course," he was frayed. A chord coming undone. Liable to snap. Strands already compromised.

"Maybe, spend time upon the grounds? Tend to the new crop of squires, and those ragged lot fools enough to take the oaths,"

Bebin began to wind his long tresses into a knot. "How long?"

Iramene frowned. Let the papers fall. "You've more to offer than your-"

"Iramene,
"

The younger knight sighed. Shook his head. "If you're so set on tearing yourself apart, least through the summer, though a whole year would be best,"

A cruel grin splayed across Bebin's face, as he finished knotting his hair. He sat up straight, and went on with his ritual. "Noted,"

Present Day at the clearing

"Syr Benavide,"
Came a firm voice, some steps away. The give of grass, soft as a newcomer approached. "I believe you are slotted to assist the squires with their athletics and conditioning at this hour," a quick shuffle of folios, their sound closer still. "Ranging exercises in the evening hours," the snap shut of bound covers, as Bebin came to stop but a stride away. Fit the ledgers beneath his arm as the beturbaned knight stood in his Pursuant's robes.

A glint in his dark eyes, wholly disinterested in any excuse that might spring forth from the Dawnling's mouth.

Last edited:
Julian nodded at Sitra. "I could introduce to plenty more faces around her, I know a few," That was an understatement, but he knew coming on too strong put many off. He was just about to ask if he could sit with her when he heard a voice behind him and all the muscles in his body tensed.

Were seven years of service as a knight not enough for these people? Though he supposed Bebin had a point. He did in fact have somewhere to be and he knew 'making friends' was not a good enough reason to skip out of it.

He didn't particularly care; what bothered him was how easily Bebin Theros dismissed him, as if he was not as important as he thought he was (and he wasn't, he knew that, but still). He decided to give the older knight the benefit of the doubt and told himself that Bebin hadn't meant it to be mean. He also knew there was a good chance he was overthinking all of this and so he thought it best to get his ass in gear and leave. He could tell when he wasn't wanted somewhere.

"I was just on my way there," he said with a dramatic bow, the smile never faltering despite the thoughts in his head.

He turned back to Sitra who was still sitting on the marble bench. "Until we meet again, Miss Tanyakoettir," he said with another dramatic bow, before he sauntered off.

Exit Thread (for now)

Well, that was that.

To Julian's departure did Sitra offer a parting nod of acknowledgement that she heard his words. No doubt they would meet again, were his insistences and the humble size of Astenvale Monastery any indication of the possibility. When the Dawnling was finally prodded by the man in the turban to take his leave, spurred on to perform some task she could only guess at, she opted to simply sit and watch until Julian Benavide again passed underneath the foliage and into the walkways of the gardens proper.

At least it was an amiable first encounter, even if it had followed on the heels of an unwelcome, abrupt first impression; the fact that she felt guilty about her initial treatment of the man should've balanced the scales, hopefully. Now, with only the two of them left Sitra had in turn leaned back into her seat and returned to her earlier straight-backed repose for this new stranger.

An extension of her respect to someone who was clearly the other man's superior, and by that logic, her own.

Then she looked to Bebin with suddenly shy eyes, feeling the most absurd traces of uncertainty grip her heart from out of nowhere. It did not help that where once the Dawnling's presence stood to contest the tangible silence, now there was only this beturbaned man's muted countenance looming over her, with an expression as unreadable as the ledgers he had tucked beneath his arm. She could deal with a curious child, but she did not know how to deal with this.

Sitra had always wondered what her cousin looked like.

Surely she would have been told something to that effect, yet nobody knew. Not anymore.

There was an assumption that they at least shared some likeness in common, for after all she was aware of their mutual Kaliti origins. And thus she was feeling confident that surely they must appear familiar enough so that she might immediately detect a sense of kinship, even from first impressions; in her mind the fact that they'd not once laid eyes upon one another for nearly two decades mattered naught.

And with a childlike naivety did Sitra believe that they might've shared more in common at first glance.

"... my greetings, syr."

To the point. Polite. An easy opener where the other options were to either spill her heart out or to surrender the initiative and speak not at all. She wasn't even certain that he was her cousin; where Julian had the personality of a particularly frisky tomcat, this man had the appearance of one and wore his black whiskers as proudly as the rest of his person.

And so rather than an a greeting without any ulterior motives or questioning stares, that's precisely what he got. Her almond eyes travelled up to his face questioningly while her hands tucked into one another upon her lap as if she needed to keep them from wandering aimlessly, which they probably would've. The urge to interrogate her hairline with her fingers was still carried a strong presence.

So who was this man? As a matter of fact, who was Bebin Theros?

These were the quiet questions that could be found in her eyes were he to look hard enough, for she did not hide her new curiosity - this time in Bebin rather than Julian - and left it to a gamble that he might offer of his own volition what she was searching for. To assume his identity on the off-chance that the only other brown dude here was the family she was looking for was in poor taste, so she didn't.

But she offered no more than that courtesy, not quite yet.

Last edited:
  • Frog Sus
Reactions: Bebin Theros
"Squire," Bebin said, a bit tight lipped. His eyes sharp and unwavering. A breath in. Long and cool. A small laugh huffed from his nose.

A bit of flesh, not so dissimilar from the one pointed back at him.

"You bare even more of your mother's countenance than last we met," his features eased, just the more, and his head keeled down, in a way more familial. "I doubt you recall that visit," he held out a hand, with fore finger, middle, and thumb splayed, down by his waist. "About this tall then," he laughed, traced the singers about the bones of his cheek, "Rounder in the face," the look in his eyes softened. "Sereti curls, still rowed about your crown," he let the memories swim about the currents of his thoughts as he took the sight of the young woman in. "But, you must forgive me, bhatiji, you are a woman grown now, and I," he bowed to his kin. "Forget myself,"

He straightened up, and looked to her once more. "I am your Mama," an odd tenderness had warmed his voice. Though he realized how odd the word may have sounded to one raised so far away from the lands that bore the phrase. "Your mother's cousin," he said, with a bit more stiffness to his tone.

Last edited:
  • Aww
Reactions: Sitra