Fable - Ask It's What's On the Inside That Counts

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
As his fingertips brushed against hers, she felt what she normally felt around other people with magic. A warm, tingling sensation. Hand dropped to her side and her fingers flexed.

She smiled, seeing that he was pleased with the painting. Lips twitched slightly at his next suggestion.

"Oh? Would you be so glad to see me go so soon?"

• Sip
Reactions: Gaheris
"Uh," Gaheris replied, painting of himself wavering in the air. Tricky question. "I suppose... Not?"​
The painting steadied as Gaheris straightened his posture, squared his shoulders for a better grip. This was going to be a longer-than-usual walk back to his quarters.​
He quickly continued, "But if you were, better to leave with good advice."​
Gaheris supposed that if Kailyn left court on account of his advice, he would be flayed regardless of whether she ended up dead on the side of the road or fabulously prosperous in Alliria.​
"Though I am sure you would be missed dearly by the court at large."​
He smiled, though it was devoid of mirth on account of the thought of losing his skin.​

• Haha
Reactions: Kailyn
"Perhaps," she took a breath then released it. As if sensing his inner trepidation, she took a step closer and lowered her voice. "If you're worried about what I might or might not tell the Emperor, please don't be. I will try my best to keep you from trouble. And Lord Gerra already trusts you greatly if he entrusted you to my care."

Or, so she hoped. There was a reason why the Emperor hadn't volunteered Medja for the task, the other woman Kailyn vaguely remembered from her one night of drunken revelry. She wondered...

"So back to my lessons. Do you want your brick back?"

• Sip
Trusts was such a strong word. Testing, however, was also a strong word, and Gaheris also felt it more accurate. Maybe the Emperor just wanted to see what he would do. Or what Kailyn would do. Perhaps they were being observed at this very instant, and the creation of this portrait would be taken only as sign of treason most high...​
Gaheris swallowed audibly from behind the smoldering portrait of himself.​
"Worried? Me? Never," he said, chuckling nervously - sort of like a worried person would do. "But I appreciate the thought."​
He cleared his throat. On to other, less worrisome matters.​
"No, that's yours to keep," he replied, shifting to adjust his grip on the portrait. "I think I ought to store this now or it will fade. But you can get a head start on meditating while I'm gone."​
There was no escape from meditation. Not in the Gaheris Academy.​

• Haha
"Very well," but the look she silently shared with him was the 'not-buying it.'

"Oh the joys I will experience today," she smirked over his shoulder as he left. Tone dryer than the desert air. She quickly put away the easel and art supplies, folding things away. They went back in her bag.

Then she dutifully took up the friend, her brick. With the man gone, she promptly took over that lone bench in the courtyard.

All of it.

Lying on her back with her knees popped up.

Eyes closed and the brick was placed over her stomach, enjoying the afternoon light across her closed lids.

• Popcorn
Gaheris briskly re-entered the courtyard, dusting off a shoulder as he went. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Kailyn had hijacked his bench. Cheeky harlot. This was, he supposed, his fault. Give the minister of trade an inch, and she takes your seat.​
He cleared his throat noisily, meandering behind the bench, casting a shadow right across her face. Arms folded across his chest.​
"What are you doing?" He asked, perhaps not sounding as serious as he would have liked. "Did you lose your mat?"​

• Devil
A smile tugged at her relaxed lips. Honeyed eyes fluttered open in the sudden shade he cast across her body. "I was meditating, of course."

Eyes drifted lazily closed, that small smile never leaving her mouth.

Then they opened to slits.

"I find I can meditate much better on this bench than the mat."

• Angry
Didn't she just look like the picture of comfort, sleepy half-shut eyes and wry smile. Kailyn looked more like she was prepared for a luxurious nap with her little marble brick. And quaint as the notion was, he was not ready to let that happen.​
"I'm sure you can, but the bench is for expert mages only," Gaheris solemnly informed her, "Are you an expert mage?"​

• Devil
"Hmm," lips pursed.

Eyes cracked open a bit further, noting that his shadow did not go away.

His shadow actually provided her all the more reason to stay. It was a nice break from the sun across her face. Though his presence exuded a prickly cactus she knew there was some sweet juice on the inside.

"Funny. I didn't see a sign on the bench."

Her smile broadened.

• Sip
Lips parted. Teeth were visible. A restrained and reasoned approximation of a smile, to described it in generous terms. In less generous terms: poorly concealed amusement.​
"We're still looking for someone to paint it," came his dry retort. "Do you happen to know anyone?"​

• Devil
"Perhaps," she mused, one hand going to dip beneath locks of brown to cradle her head.

Eyes opened fully as she studied the man above her. Those blond locks of his were backlit by the sun again. This would also make a good portrait position. If only she could paint like this but it would be an absolute mess.

"I think I'm done meditating for the day anyway. So," she gave a long sigh. "I suppose you can have your bench back. In ten more minutes."

• Scared
Gaheris blinked. The absolute audacity! The woman paints one portrait (in record time) and suddenly she feels entitled to make pronouncements on the lesson plan. Then lay around looking cute, as if she'd actually get away with it.​
Then again, by virtue of having this exchange, she already was.​
Tart.​
"Your generosity knows no bounds," he muttered. "And how do you suppose to learn anything if you're 'done for the day' already?"​

• Devil
A small shrug of her shoulders. An even smaller curl of her lips.

"I imagine you'll think of something."

After about ten minutes, she finally stirred and stretched, then stood. She even had the audacity to offer the man a little wave before leaving.

The next day she entered the courtyard after Gaheris. This time, no painting supplies.