Private Tales Light After Dark

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"What do you want Audreyn?" he asked as he took a seat. "Sorry, I shouldn't press for an answer. But think about that.

"Magic can bring you many things. Money, a reputation, respect. It can be used to do almost anything you can imagine."

• Yay
Reactions: Audreyn
Audreyn rubbed her face, giving a heavy sigh. "I- I-..." She looked around them, unseeing as she struggled for the answer.

"You see the way they all look at you back there? How they treated you? You need something and you can do it. Or you can buy it. Or-... You can hold your own. Not just with magic, with everything. I want a spell that lets me do that," she told him, determination in her tone.

"I want a spell that makes that happen."

• Yay
Reactions: Gerrard
"It's not one spell that will bring you that Audreyn," he said. He carefully moderated his tone. This couldn't be a lecture.

"You...have to realise that you have a real gift Audreyn. You can look anyone in the eye and demand respect. It's not something that will change suddenly. You are determined and you are talented. I expect a lot from you Audreyn. I don't mean that, well, I think you'll be a great mage." Gerrard stopped his train of thought, with it clearly speeding beyond his ability to put into words.

"I will enquire about someone skilled in the arts of healing. If you still desire that?" His tone had shifted to become far softer now.

• Yay
She grew quiet, shoulders curling in. "...That's a rather... limiting focus, don't you think?" She asked, her voice small.

When she had started out with him, she only knew magic as one thing. Destructive. And then she learned that it could do the opposite. Heal. She only had two options back then, but now...

Now she was beginning to think the sky was the limit with this stuff.

"I want to know it all," she told him, her voice still small... but full of surety.

• Yay
"Even if you learn quickly, there is a long path ahead Audreyn. But it's a rewarding one," he said emphatically. "I can teach you a lot, but we might need to find you a true school. In maybe three or five years you'll learn a broad array of magic. After that you might spend five or even ten years become a true master of one form of the arts. Then it's up to you. Do you master more forms of magic or learn a depth across a range or even try to teach yourself.

"I meant what I said. This is a gift. I cant tell you what to do with it. But I will help you along the path you choose. How does that sound?"

• Yay
Audreyn made a frustrated sound, his answer not what she was looking for.

"Long," she answered back. "All sounds like it will take too long." She huffed, her chin going in her hands.

"I'm sorry, but this seating is for customers only," came a softer, elderly voice. An older lady stood popping out of the door to a small bakery, all sorts of breads and even meat pies inside.

Audreyn noticed this at once, her mouth erupting into a water. She turned back to Gerrard, her eyes expressing a wordless 'please.'

• Yay
"Sorry, thought you did table service last time," he lied to the woman in the bakery. "We'll be right through."

He scratched at his beard, giving some serious thought to how he might actually make this all seem less arduous to her. He was not accustomed to tailoring his words to someone's feelings. Repurcussions be damned, he usually just spoke the truth plainly.

"Look, when you have a new spell you never could have imagined to learn every the time will pass quickly. Don't wish good time away. Besides, if there weren't some benefits to ageing then being old would be truly shit."

Having made the most crude attempt at advice in his life he pushed his chair back and stood up.

• Yay
“But it is shit,” she countered. Laid her head down, pulling her damp hair off her neck. "Your back hurts, you get worse hangovers, and you smell." She lolled her head over, already feeling ready for a real nap despite it only being noon.

She yawned at him, resisting the urge to rest her eyes. "This city is like a warm blanket. How does anyone do anything?" Code word for-- you get the food. Please.

"I smell do I?" he asked as he stood up. There was an edge to his voice this time that didn't match his smile. He was a proud man and there was a limit to the jokes he would take.

She was right about the hangovers, he had told her as much himself. But with age also came respect. Something that was useful, even if it wasn't something he chased for the sake of it.

• Yay
"Like garlic." She grinned up at him, unapologetic. It wasn't true. At least not with him. Some elderly definitely did smell like garlic though. And maybe a bit of Gerrard too, after a week on the road.

Seeing him stand, she perked. "Meat pie, please!" She was certainly getting more comfortable with being his ward. Weeks ago she would have never asked. That line was now pushed to dresses and other things.

• Yay
Should have been annoyed, but her rediculous response had him shaking his head and grinning as he walked away.

He returned a few moments later with a tray. Two wooden bowls held two halves of a meat pie and there were two cups of fresh water. As there would be with every meal here despite the heat there were several chunks of buttered bread.

"Why does it feel exhausting just being measured?" he mused.

• Yay
"I don't think it's the measuring that's exhausting," she told him, perking at the water given to her. She chugged it down, her train of thought derailed. Water had never tasted so good.

She gasped for air, thunking the cup down.

"It's their nonstop talking. I didn't know someone could say so much about clothes. Ugh, it made my head foggy." That coming from the girl that had once pulled him through a market gaping at dresses. "Really, there's a fine line."

She ate eagerly, her appetite rarely diminished around him.

• Yay
"Yes, I think I tend to agree on that," he said, as if they were discussing Palto's Theorum on Transmutation Reversal and not the chatty seamstresses.

"Which is unfortunately something you'll get a hefty dose of at any dinner party I'm afraid. At least until the wine starts to kick in. It's considered very...fashionable...for Noble men to know lots about fashion right now."

That did conjure an amusing mental image of some naive lording trying to gain Audrey's attention by regaling her on the changing lengths of cuffs in formal wear.

• Yay
A small look of chargrin horror overcame her.

“That’s alright. I’ll start talking to them about the best salt to vinegar ratio to pickle radishes in. Knock them right out first.”

With a spike in her blood sugar she felt much restored. She held her hand out, elbow propped on the table.

Her brows furrowed. Gerrard would feel what she was doing anything came to into sight. Light shot off the tip of her fingers, reaching out into the sky in a sharp crack. A wayward one went into Gerrard’s water, leaving it dancing momentarily as the energy traveled through the table and zapped them.

Last edited:
  • Yay
He slowly shook his head as he sucked at the back of his hand. A small red patch of skin showed where a spark had leapt at his hand.

When he spoke his voice was calm, yet slow and deliberate. His food was momentarily ignored and the smile her suggestion had brought to his face faded.

"Did you mean to try and practise or was that an accident? It is just that I'm certain I said we'd find somewhere quiet for that but perhaps at my age I'm forgetting the things I said."

• Yay
The blood drained from her face. “Uh...”

For a moment she so tempted to lie, but she knew he was sharper than that. He was the sharpest person she knew.

She squirmed in her seat, her own stinging pains inconsequential.

“I just thought... I mean I only have a day...” came her meek excuse.

• Yay
"Uh-huh?"

Flat stare. A hint of judgement but not anger. Gerrard returned to his pie under the assumption that it was enough for now. Too many times he had been on the receiving end of lectures. He didn't want Audreyn to feel as he had all those times. To feel as if you were being held back.

"I would rather not upset the neighbours so as soon as we are done at the market we'll find some open space. Mrs Smytherton can let someone in to fill up the larder."

• Yay
A small bit of excitement poked through. She tried to restrain it, guilt quick to follow.

"Are you saying this cause you actually want to or cause you're afraid I'm gonna light something on fire again?" She asked, the challenge more self-pitying than than malicious.

• Yay
"If I didn't take the time to show you how to do this, would you attempt to figure it out on your own?" he countered.

• Yay
Yes.

"...No," she lied, trying to not to look at the red mark on the back of his hand. Properly humbled for the time being, Audreyn turned back to her pie and ate it with exquisite focus. The rest of the meal was silence.

"I'm sorry," she said at the end of it, picking at bread with her nail. "I didn't think it would hurt you." She glanced up at him, sincere distress in her eyes.

• Yay
"Oh come on, I would have tried to work it out myself," he laughed. "My hand is fine, but risks have consequences. You'll make mistakes as you go but you will have to take responsibility for them."

He gave a shrug. "I defied my teachers enough times to know this. I thought that I saw things more clearly than they did. Mostly that was right, which means I'm not the best to lecture here!"

• Yay
Audreyn gave a slow, shy glance up.

Did that mean... she was in the right here? A dangerous thought to give her, the idea lightening up her eyes. She said nothing on it though, still thoroughly chastised by the mistake. She wiped off her fingers and mouth, yawning against the ever present heat of the city.

"Well. The fast we get things then, the faster I can get some butt with some magic," she concluded softly, putting everything onto the tray. "You ready?"

• Yay
"Yes we can get moving," Gerrard replied. Rather than teach her patient he was going to indulge her curiosity. It was not a sensible decision, but his method of teaching was driven by his own experience as a student, by his own frustrations.

"We'll be fairly quick. What did we need again? We have candles so some fresh butter, meat for later, some dried meats, more bread, anything else? And then we need some seasonal wear for you."

• Yay
The reminder has Audreyn fanning herself, a guilty look upon her face.

"I still don't understand how you haven't run out of money yet. Or what I can do to repay this." She stood, taking his tray and starting by returning it to the counter for him. She kept trying not to linger on what she costed him, but it was hard not to be reminded inside a square with such wealth. Or in his multistory home. Or when they ate seasoned meat. Causally. For no reason other than being hungry.

"Why do you help me, anyway?" She finally found the brazen courage to ask.

• Yay
A look of confusion crossed his face as he searched for the answer. There was a flicker of annoyance as he found that the answer was not a simple one.

Did it really matter? Did she want him to stop helping her?

His expression softened when he considered the fact that she might hold a genuine concern that he would be after something in return for this.

"You deserved better than the situation you found yourself in," he replied. "I expect you to do great things with the opportunity."

• Yay