Private Tales Read between the lines

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Standing in his arms like this felt the closest to home she had ever come. She tucked her head under his chin as he looked around and watched the crowds with him quietly, swaying a little from side to side in time to the music though she didn't seem entirely conscious she was doing so. When he looked down at her she leaned back to look up at him with a raised of her brow.

"What do you mean show oooooffff!" Zana squealed as he picked her up by the hips and spun her in tight circles. "Talus!" she smacked at his arm playfully but she was laughing and her cheeks were flushed because of the onlookers comments and whistles. As they spun she leaned down and kissed him, her hands coming away from his shoulders to cup his face and she didn't break away until he had set her down and she was breathless.

"Are you sure you're not the one with the low tolerance to ale?"

• Sip
Reactions: Talus
He smirked at her. "Me? No. The only intoxicating that effects me is you."

Talus' expression never changed, and he very pointedly did not answer her first question. Instead he simply gently put her back down onto the ground and touched the small of her back.

There were a few more short claps and the odd whistle. "Come on. We have the main event to get to."

He didn't wait around her her to ask the question again, instead slipping his hand through hers and quickly dragging her along towards the central Keep. The party there was just as loud and rambunctious as it had been in the streets, and when they stepped into the once empty throne room it was filled with a massively long table with more food than Talus had ever seen.

"MY FRIENDS! SO GOOD OF YOU TO COME!"​

Thror roared as he saw Zana and Talus enter, Grey of course was already sitting right besides the King. In his mouth looked to be a massive boars leg which he was happily munching on.

"Please come come! Take a seat!"​

Two chairs sat empty right besides Thror, clearly saved specifically for Zana and Talus.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wonder
Reactions: Zana
Zana narrowed her eyes at him in suspicion but she was hopeless to push the matter. Her heart felt like it might burst from her chest as his hand brushed against the small of her back and she returned to her position leaning against his side. Her cheeks still held their blush as they walked past dwarfs who clapped and whistled. What a novelty to show how she felt, how she truly felt, in a city full of people. Instead of feeling anxious like she had earlier she began to relax into it.

Even when she saw they had been saved spaces next to the King at the head of the table she didn't stiffen or pause like she might have done earlier. Perhaps it was just the ale giving her a touch of courage but she slid her hand into Talus' as the gaps narrowed between the people and they had to weave their way towards their seats.

"Are you trying to steal my wolf, Thror?" Zana said with mock accusation as she sat down at the Kings side and leaned down to scratch Grey behind the ears.

"Ha! If one could steal a pet like this I would be shocked. A wolf's heart can be controlled as much as that of a woman's. A lesson for you there, Talus."​

The young Dreadlord blustered for a second, opening his mouth to respond and raising a hand before he slowly shook his head and just accepted what the Old King had said. "Of course, Thror. When may I ask did you learn this lesson?"

A chuckle ran through the Kings throat, and he glanced at Zana for a brief moment before leaning back in his throne.

"Did you know it took me nearly a week to get this lad to stop bowing and scraping before me? I had to threaten to have Vorak beat him with his hammer!"​

Talus cheeks colored.

"Well I've learned now, haven't I?" The King nodded in response, smiling at the two young lovers like a proud father might look at his children.

"Aye, that you have."​

Thror offered them both warm smiles, his voice a tad softer. Talus felt an odd sensation growing in his chest. Pride perhaps, or an odd kind of love that one could only feel for a close friend.

It was strange how at home he felt here, and with Zana at his side it was only more so. All of it just seemed...right.

"Enough talk! You're both far too skinny. Take the example of your Hound and eat up!"​

• Love
Zana had the distinct feeling the king was weighing her up to see if she was... worthy enough for Talus. As his eyes lingered on her she returned the look with a lazy smile and cool eyes. His change of subject marked the end of the brief moment and she actually laughed at the very image of Talus being threatened with such violence. When her gaze turned to Talus to see his expression it was full of love and she raised a hand to lightly brush at the blush that coloured his skin.

"I don't think it's possible to eat as much as Grey," she threw the wolf a look as the King bade them eat and she began piling her plate up with things she didn't entirely recognise. She was always eager to learn new flavours, new recipes and garner new ideas for her own dishes.

"Do you have anymore embarrassing stories about Talus I can hear?" there was a hint of mischief in her voice.

• Scared
"No." Talus cut in as Thror was about to open his mouth to speak. "There's absolutely nothing else that happened."

A wicked grin came.over the Kings face, his gaze flicking to Zana before he motioned towards somebody a little ways down the table. Vorak sat there, and he poked his head up as the king waved to him.

With little hesitation the bulky dwarf stood, moving to Talus side and putting a hand on his shoulders.

"Yes?"​

Talus looked like he was about to be sick. "Nothing Vorak, Zana wanted to ask you about some ar-"

Before he could finish speaking Thror let out a boisterous chuckle and threw a bread roll at his head, instantly silencing the young Dreadlord.

"Don't listen to his nonsense Vorak. Zana here, our good brothers wife would like to hear the story of how he helped you forge his blade."​

Talus glowered at the both of them.

"Oh that story? I suppose I could tell it, it's a very good story."​

Slowly the Dreadlord began to sink into his chair, a hand coming to his face as he tried to hide himself.

• Love
Zana could feel the wash of embarrassment and panic that came down the bond and couldn't help but grin, bringing out the dimples in either side of her cheeks. Her eyes shifted to Vorak innocently when Talus tried to steer the conversation to the water system - which she did want to ask him about, but perhaps another time - but when the bread roll was thrown at his head she choked on a laugh in utter shock. It was so far removed from what she would expect of a king and yet... and yet for Thror it seemed the perfect thing.

That title again.

She tried not to let heat colour her own cheeks but still, despite knowing they were not as formal here, she couldn't help but slide from her chair and offer it to the dwarf. Then she perched on the arm of the Kings chair to watch Talus' expression the entire time Vorak spoke.

"I really love good stories," she said solemnly. "And you told me all about the buildings so well..." her whole face was a heartbreaking look of pleading as if she didn't already know they would tell her the tale.

• Scared
Vorak took the chair with a grateful mod, smiling slightly and clapping Talus on the shoulder.

"No worries there, Lass. Ive always been a good story teller. Ain't that right Talus?"​

In that moment Talus knew what hell felt like. His cheeks were colored bright red, his eyes closed, and he was pinching the bridge of his nose as though he were trying to get rid of a bad headache of migraine.

There was no way around this. "Should've gone to Sheketh
"

He grumbled to himself quietly as Vorak began to talk.

"So, Our young Talus here had spent two weeks in our ranks. Good king Thror had filled his head with stories of our forges and the dragons that once fueled them."​

Oh here he went.

"See lass, nowadays we use molten earth in most of our hearths, but three millenia ago our people made a deal with the Dragons of the spine. The bargain was an easy one, gold for fire. Well our young Talus here was so inspired, he'd though he'd seek out one of the Dragons."​

Talus slowly sunk lower in his chair. Others were listening now.

"Being the good friend that I am I volunteered to help the lad out. We set ourselves on the path beneath the mountains and within a days time we found our dragons den. Talus was brave. Oh he was brave. Remember what you said to me lad? 'Thror told me the Dragons were smart. So why don't I try to talk to it?' ah so wise, yet so foolish."​

A smirk touched Thror's lips, mirroring Vorak.

"Ah well you know why don't you say what happened next Talus. I think Zana would like to hear from you."​

He scowled, fingers gripping his leg tightly as he quietly grumbled. "The dragon burned my ass."

Everyone at the table broke out into uproarious laughter, a few nearly chucking up their drinks. Talus himself just covered his face, rubbing at it as Vorak slammed his hand on the table so he could continue.

"The lad came running out like a jackrabbit! Fire washing over the whole fuckin' cavern and all it got was his ass!"​

Vorak started laughing so hard he couldn't breath.

• Haha
Zana listened in a trance. She had asked half to embarrass him yes, but also to learn a side of him he wouldn't have shared with her. The other Dreadlord couldn't help the slight widening of her eyes when Voruk got to the part of the story that mentioned Talus' desire to find a dragon to forge his blade in. There was a healthy amount of admiration in her eyes as they landed on him, not that he saw it with his head buried as it was in his hands. She thought, in amusement, he might end up under the table if he sunk any further.

Her smile only grew and grew as Voruk ploughed on unrelenting in the discomfort he was dealing to his friend. It was a nice thing to watch that filled her with warmth; it was nice to know there were other people who loved him and cared for him like her. Others he had allowed to see just how special he was.

That the final piece of the story came from him made the punchline all the more amusing and Zana found herself laughing as badly as the rest of them. Voruk painted such a colourful picture a tear ran down her cheek and she brushed it away, clutching at her side. She didn't think she had ever laughed so hard.

The noise of so much laughter had Grey on his feet and hopping from person to person to share in the excitement. In the end he rested his head on Zana's lap and thumped his tail then howled.

"Yes, your father is an idiot," she ruffled his ears and wiped another tear from her cheeks. "How many of you had placed bets when they left?" she cast a suspicious look around the table.

• Sip
Vorak had to collect himself, still laught five minutes after everyone else had stopped. In all fairness he had been the only one to witness the event, and thus the image was still likely in his head.

He grinned at Zana's question, though it was not the sort of grin of amusement, but an oddly proud one.

"My King?"​

Talus let out a deep sigh as Zana continued to dig into his shame. In truth he felt worse about this portion than he did anything else.

Thror only smiled, leaning back in his great throne like chair as he looked up at Zana.

"I was the only one who lost my dear. A Kings Ransom you could say really."​

Talus remembered being told just what Thror had bet, and the shame at having failed nearly cause him to puke. He still felt a knot in his stomach as Thror said the words, a smile on his face.

"My father's armor. The last of the Dragon Forged. Handed over to this damned Smith."​

Vorak had the biggest smile on his face, though so did Thror.

"Don't regret it for a moment though! At least the lad went for it, unlike you cowardly lot!"​

The accusation was met with laughter, though one could see that the words struck some a little harder than others. "I did tell you no-"

"Shuttup and have another drink lad! None of that now."​

Thror said as he stood and practically shoved a mug into Talus' arms.

• Devil
Zana draped her arm across the back of the chair as she shifted herself into a slightly more comfortable position. Her mirth and teasing had died a little when she had felt the wave of shame and guilt come through the bond. As Thror looked up at her and explained the penny dropped and her gaze swept to Talus. She could see the pain even now etched into his face, the way he tried to apologise before having a drink shoved into his hands. She was beginning to feel her own stirring of guilt for having brought up a memory tinged with pain.

As everyone laughed again Zana glanced down to Thror.

"What if I tried to win it back for you?" the laughter seemed to die almost immediately and her head canted slowly to the other side to look now at Voruk. It was nearly impossible to read her expression and the disarming lazy smile that had settled across her lips. "If I convince the dragon to use his fire for my blade, you return the armour to Thror."

• Wonder
Thror almost instantly seemed to light up, though not because he somehow wanted to invalidate the wager.

"Ah no lass, such things aren't done. A bets a bet but..."​

Talus had known that would be the answer, mostly because he'd offered half a dozen times to do the same. Thror insisted that under dwarven custom he could not take the armor back even if he wanted to. Yet as Zana made her offer the old King seemed to practically beam.

Talus had seen that look before, it was exactly the same one he had given him when he'd asked about the quest. Thror did not care about the armor, not really. He cared for the history, the story.

"I wager this young lady can bring a dragon to heel. The Manor of the Hammerfell is put up against any who wish to bet against me!"​

The entire room suddenly burst into a loud furror of exclamations, arguments, call outs and everything else that could be imagined.

Talus only looked at Zana, not able to help the sense of pride that flooded into his heart. A smile touched his face, his head resting in his hand as he looked up at her. This will probably end in disaster...but gods do I love her.

He knew what this had been, why she'd done it. The words alone and made his heart melt.

• Love
Zana's lips turned down at the corners when he said a bet was a bet. She would have argued that as her quest was an altogether different thing it should be allowed but she held her tongue. Her gaze moved back to Talus and she gave him an almost apologetic smile. She had wanted to do it for him in order to ease the pain. But if it was their way then it was their way. What she hadn't been expecting was for him to still take her up on the offer for an entirely different bet.

There was a flicker of surprise as she looked back to the king and then her eyes widened a little further at the sudden series of shouting and hollering over one another. Other things were being thrown in to the mix or rested against the wager as they looked her up and down and apparently saw no warrior. Her lips twitched at the corners: had they not heard of Dreadlords?

She caught Talus' eyes across the table once more and this time gave him a smile full of love. She could at least try and offer something else...

"Well... at least when I bring this dragon to heel... let me use his flame for a new suit of armour for you," her gaze returned to the king. "It is our custom to bring a gift to ... friends. I would ask you let me do this in the very least and you may bet it on some other challenge in a few more years."

• Wonder
Thror let out a laugh.

"Done! But in return, you shall have the Hammerfell's manor."​

The King was very clearly loving this, furror and excitement spread through the crowd like wildfire. The air of drunkenness and everything else seemed only to add to it all, and before long wagers were being marked down and quickly put in.

Vorak himself only sat quietly, a wide grin on his face as he leaned over to Talus and whispered in his ear. "She has more fire than you."

A smirk touched the young Dreadlords lips, and he nodded his head in complete agreement with his friend.

It took an hour for everything to be cajoled and dragged into place. Everyone was given time to place bets, there was a bit more eating of course, and then eventually Talus and Zana were both given time to prepare themselves. It was exactly an hour later that the crowd had gathered around an ancient tunnel with Zana, Vorak, and of course Talus standing at it's entrance.

"Just like last time?" Talus asked Vorak over the buzz of the crowd behind them.

Vorak nodded his head.

"We'll take the trans below, then just a walk to the Dragon Forges and we ring the bell."​

Talus remembered that Bell, remembers what had shown up and just how it's attitude towards him had been. He frowned briefly, but smiled at Zana. "You're going to love this."

He told her, and then from the left came an odd boxy like railcart, save it seemed to move under its own power and had seats for four.

• Cheer
Zana pictured the kitchen. That beautiful, dreamy kitchen, and she almost sighed her way off the arm of the chair.

"Deal," her eyes lit up now to match the kings own excitement.

She hadn't expected for it to disrupt the feast quite so and had thought she had also by some miracle won herself a way into not having to drink for the rest of the evening, but it seemed as though the dwarves were an impatient bunch when money, armour and a whole manor was on the line. She didn't bother to change, she simply collected her sword and slung it lazily about her hips then tied her hair back off her face.

"I am going to cook so much bread in that kitchen," she murmured under her breath as they stood at the entrance to the tunnels deeper into the mountain. Zana finished off her braid and then patted herself down and seemed content with how she was walking in to this battle. Her eyes flicked up when Talus spoke and then they widened when they saw the little cart.

"I'm so glad we're going to have such a lovely place to stay when we visit next and Voruk teaches me all about how things work here," the Dreadlord smiled sweetly and then clambered into the cart. It earned her a chuckle from the crowds behind. When they were on their way she turned her eyes to Voruk.

"So, how did the dwarfs of old convince Dragons to give them their fire?" she was curious how it had stopped. Clearly they still lived beneath the mountains and came when answered. There must have been some art.

• Sip
"No one remembers how they were first convinced."​

Vorak said as he climbed into the Cart, leaving Talus the seat besides Zana so that the lovers could sit together. The younger Dreadlord plopped himself down, dawning the strap across his chest, reaching over to ensure Zana did the same.

"Damned thing goes fast." He said with a smirk, remembering his own reaction.

"They just remember how it ended."​

A scowl pulled at Voraks lips as he pulled the lever and the cart slowly began to move forwards.

"It was one of Thror the First's son's. Third born. He wanted power, craved the throne. He thought his way would be to bring the Dragons to his side. Unfortunately they refused, and when the Matriarch denied him..."​

Talus remembered this story, and he shook his head ruefully as Vorak spoke.

"He killed her."​

His hand gently fell on Zana's knee, a small comforting gesture.

"Started a war that lasted nearly five hundred years. Little bastard."​

• Wonder
Zana hadn't even noticed the strap and watched in bemusement as Talus cared for her in such a simple and sweet way. Her eyes stayed on his face as he worked to secure her in place and a wave of love flooded through the bond as he drew back. Then her attention shifted back to Voruk as he spoke and she took every word in in quiet contemplation. Then something seemed to just... click in her mind. An old story. So old she had stumbled on it barely by chance. Could it work...?

"Words were not respected," she said it with a tinge of sadness. "They need to know that words do hold meaning still," it was almost prophetic the way she spoke and she seemed to drift off into a deep thought for quite some time before finally turning to Talus.

"Did you even get to speak last time? What did you say?" It was important to know the details so she didn't make the same mistakes.

• Thoughtful
As the cart began to pick up speed Talus tested himself against the seat. It was comfortable, oddly so.

"I didn't get to speak." Which he was later told was the norm.

No one was quite sure why the dragons still came when the bell was rang, but apparently they did. Talus suspected it was because they just enjoyed the easy prey, though Thror had told him that it likely went far deeper than that. Bitterness still lay within their hearts more than anything else.

"It just attacked as soon as it saw me." He squeezed her leg. Talus knew that Zana could handle herself, there was no doubt she could kill a Dragon if she tried but that wasn't the goal here. "It's fire also...broke through my magic."

He still had no idea how, but hed felt the pain of those flames even in the Ether.

"Dragon fire is a force unto itself lad, why do you think it's so valuable for forging?"​

• Wonder
Now that did surprise her. Zana had just assumed he hadn't quite been quick enough and that had been the reason why only his arse had suffered. Her lips still twitched at the visual image even though she was not sure whether or not she would soon be suffering the same fate. But a plan was beginning to form inside of her mind. Her hand fell over the top of Talus' and she looked to him with a bright smile and determination simmering in her eyes.

"Well you are only a baby Dreadlord," she teased, trying to insert some humour into the conversation. As they got deeper even Voruk seemed to grow a little more tense, though whether that was due to the impending excitement she didn't know.

"Have you tried not ringing the bell?" Zana's gaze flicked back to the dwarf then.

• Wonder
Talus rolled his eyes. "Baby Dreadlord that didn't have his sword."

He commented quietly, though through the bond she would be able to feel that her comment hadn't upset him. Instead worry creased his thoughts. Zana was strong, but dragons were things of myths and legends.

He still remembered the creature that had come calling. The size of its wings, the massive teeth, everything about it had been bigger than he'd thought. At the time he remembered thinking that some of the buildings in Vel Anir wouldn't have fit as a roost for the thing.

"Ermm."

Vorak spoke up, frowning for a brief moment and scratching his beard as the cart suddenly whipped to the left and picked up speed, dropping down to the depths beneath the mountains.

"No lass, I don't think so. It's how we've always done it."

That had been the deal.

• Thoughtful
Even though she laughed at his comment, Zana twined her fingers with his and sent a sense of calm as best as she could back down against his worry. She would have said something more but Voruk's words were important for the plan she was forming in her mind. The cart dipped and then began to speed down the hill making her stomach flip and tighten her grip somewhat on Talus' hand. It would of course, depend on whether she didn't throw up after this journey.

"They broke that deal when they killed the matriarch," her other hand tightened on the side of the cart as they went round a sharp bend at quite some speed making her heart race. "Let's just... not ring the bell to begin with. I have an idea I would like to try first."

• Wonder
"It's your choice, lass. We can't go into the forge with you."

Talus gripped her a bit tightly as they wound around another bend, descending rapidly now further and further into depths.

They would be whipped quickly back and forth, rushing one minute from left to right and then the next suddenly descending at an incline that did not at all seem safe. Wind began to rush passed them, but Talus tried to shout over it. "It's tradition we wait outside!"

He yelled.

"Only one can enter the forge at a time!" He doubted Vorak would break that tradition, but if she did not wish to ring the bell...perhaps she would want Talus there. "But I'll do whatever you think is best!"

This was hers after all, he was only here to support her as he could.

• Scared
A squeal left her throat but it was more excitement than fear as they went thundering down the track. It was like being on Zandor but a whole lot faster and she had zero control over the direction of where they were going. She glanced over to Talus and saw the complete opposite to the exhilaration she was feeling which only seemed to heighten her giddy feeling. She squeezed his hand a little tighter.

"It'll be safer for you to wait outside!" she shouted back and the wind tore at her hair, ripping strands from her braid and whipping the strands across her face. Zana wouldn't lie and say she was confident that she would be fine but it was an adventure she was actually looking forward to taking on.

"What happens if I do convince them?" she called over the wind.

• Love
"If that's what you want!" Talus called out to her, glancing around for a moment as he noticed they were getting close.

The cart suddenly started to slow as the slopemof the tracks beneath shifted to something more steady. Varok pulled on the lever, and the break quietly began to press them into a stop.

"If you can convince him...or her, all they need to do is blow their flame into the forge."

Talus pulled the strap off from around his chest, leaning over and kissing Zana on the cheek with a smile before pulling himself out of the cart.

"Once the fire is struck, it will last for several days and the armor will be forged."

• Cheer
Zana's heart was pounding as they slowed and then came to a stop, a grin on her face and her eyes alight with ... fun. She wasn't sure when she had last felt such a way over something so trivial. She loved riding of course and did see it as fun but this had been different.

"Can we do that again?" she unstrapped herself and quickly followed Talus and Voruk out of the cart. She smoothed down her dress and then ran her eyes over the entrance way to the forge which loomed before them. It was beginning to settle into her the reality of what she had dared herself to do. There was a mix of anticipation, fear and excitement swirling in her chest.

"Well..." she took a breath and then squared her shoulders and took a step forward. "See you on the other side boys."

Last edited:
  • Popcorn