Private Tales Read between the lines

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"I was just an apprentice then." Talus said with a shrug, shouldering his pack and waiting for a second as Zana suddenly broke off into a gallop.

Talus lingered for just a few seconds, half turned towards the gate and offered the Guards there a wave of his hand. A few of them waved back, and then Talus let himself suddenly fall backwards. The world itself seemed snap, breaking into a cacophony of blue wisps.

Two great web like wings exploded out from Talus' back, and then he suddenly burst forward into the air.

His form slipped into the air, floating with a single beat as he rose above Zana. Talus' ghostly features looking down on the other Dreadlord with what could have been a smile as he floated ahead of her and rushed through the gates of Karak.

• Wonder
Reactions: Zana
"Come on boy," Zana leaned over her horses neck as they flew through the forest they had come through a day before. Branches reached for her and tried to tear at her clothes, face and hair but Zandor held true down the path. Despite it being a game there was a wave of joy that rose in her heart as they galloped. Zandor had been a gift from Ashur after a siege she had been involved in quite unexpectedly. After their Commander had died Zana had stepped into the void and had led the dwindling forces to a decisive victory. She had ridden non stop for two days to then warn the House of another planned attack hours before it was launch so they had been able to avert a similar situation.

He had joked she would have been able to do the trip in a day if she had had one of his own stallions, and Zandor had been in her stables when she had finally returned home.

The horse pushed himself impossibly faster as her hand ran down his neck, pausing only to leap over a fallen tree before continuing. She could sense Talus somewhere nearby but she was too focused on her own journey to try and snatch a glimpse. She wouldn't make it easy for him.

• Devil
Reactions: Talus
Talus moved like the wind itself.

The world around him seemed to shift and warped as his wings cast back, his feet touching the ground every few seconds to launch himself further and faster. Everytime he stepped, every time his wings spread themselves and pushed him faster it was like a shot of exhilaration directly into his chest.

He had never in his life moved so fast.

He had never in his life pushed his magic so hard.

It was almost like instead of moving himself...he dragged the world around him backwards. The web of his wings expanded, breaking into a thousand strands that grasped and pulled at the air itself. Tendrils of ghostly energy lashed out, launching him forward faster and faster.

For a moment the race was forgotten, the bet left behind.

A surge of power rushed through him, a flicker of something new that he did not quite understand. The Tendrils touched a nearby tree, tethering to it's branches for a few seconds before he used it to launch himself even further.

When Zana passed it by, she would see branches that had been alive just two days before withered and decayed, as though it had been dead for decades.

That was how he moved. The odd wing like tendrils grasping the air itself and pushing him forward until he landed with a silent thud besides the portal stone.

• Love
Zana and Zandor were panting as they walked up the hill. When they had seen him after breaking from the forest she had pulled her horse back down from his gallop into a slower trot and then a walk, letting the horse stretch his neck out. Her cheeks were flushed red from the ride and when they got closer she slid off her horse and then flopped onto the ground, putting her head between her knees with a groan.

"Remind me to never do that again when I have a hangover," her stomach was churning hard and she sipped slowly at the waterskin she had taken off her saddle when she had dismounted. She desperately wanted to down it all but she knew that would only make her feel worse.

"Did you fly?" she peeked up at him from her position then cast her gaze to the forest waiting for Grey to appear. She had felt his feeling of wonderment at whatever he had been doing, the feel of raw energy passing through him. It had been a rush and she wondered briefly if that was what he felt whenever she used her gifts.

• Bless
Talus was looking at his hands, staring at them as they slowly closed into fists. "I-"

His lips thinned for a brief moment, amazement still rocking through the bond.

He had absolutely no idea what he'd done. It had felt so natural, so easy. There had been no flight, not really after the first few seconds. His fingers tightened a moment more, and then slowly dropped to his side as he turned towards Zana.

"I did something new." Pride shone on his face for a few seconds. "I have no idea what."

Talus let out a laugh. "But I did it."

For some reason the idea pleased him more than anything else. He'd known for some time that his magic held more depth, that he could do more, but a part of him had always been worried that it wouldn't be enough.

He knew what some other Dreadlords could do, hell, he'd seen an Archon destroy an Entire Fortress.

This step, whatever it had been, seemed to take some unseen weight off his shoulders.

It was only after a few seconds that he slowly stepped over to Zana, smiling and squatting down to make sure she was alright.

• Bless
"Something new?" Zana's attention snapped back to him, her own sickness forgetting and her pride in him rising then. When he crouched beside her she cupped his face in her hands and practically beamed at him. She could see how happy it had made him to have achieved this, to have pushed beyond his limits. It didn't scare him like her gifts scared her. She had a feeling it had something to do with the wings he had shown her during their flight but if he couldn't explain it she would have to wait until he had figured it out to share it.

For now his happiness was enough for her.

"You are destined for such great things Talus," she sighed, her thumb stroking over his cheek. She had seen it. The possibilities of what he could do if nothing was there to hold him back. For a brief moment she rested her forehead against his and then pressed her lips to his, love and pride pouring through the kiss and their bond. "I can't wait to see you fly," her lips twitched as the subtle joke relating to his actual gifts.

• Love
Talus smiled against her lips, kissing her for just a brief second. A breath filled his lungs. "I'm not sure flight will be the end of it."

He said, reaching up and stroking a thumb against her cheek.

It struck him then, just how much support and love she offered him. It was so foreign, so distant before that every time he felt it through the bond it was like something utterly new. He wanted nothing than to be with her, he wanted nothing more than her.

He would have given up his magic for her.

He would have given up the world.

"When I'm with you." Talus said quietly. "I feel like I can wrench the moons from the sky."

She was the reason he was growing stronger, the reason he was becoming more Human. She was the center of it all, of himself.

His lips pressed against hers.

• Love
"No... I think you are right," Zana rubbed her nose against his before they kissed again, her eyes sweeping shut with the movement. It wasn't a matter of think. She had seen so many possibilities for him but she wouldn't spoil the surprise. She couldn't, such was the burden, for she had no idea how he would discover these gifts. His words were a gift in this moment that was his. Slightly she shook her head and ran her hands down his cheeks to under his jaw and chin, tilting his gaze to hers.

"This is always who you were meant to be," such love filled her heart and spilled into her eyes. He truly had no idea how important he was. What he was going to do. "I will always be with you but, Talus, this is not down to me," she gave him a small smile that held a little bit of sadness. A future she had seen, a possibility. "This is all you. I'm just glad I'm this close to you to see it first hand," her hands slid down to hold his hands and press a kiss to his knuckles.

• Love
His fingers laced around hers, feeling the pang of emotions through their bond. Confusion played over his face, but he decided to take her at her words.

"I love you." He said softly, deciding that ultimately those were the only words that mattered. In the end the truth didn't matter. Zana was the woman he loved, she was the one who made his heart soar.

Even if the magic came from himself...she was the spark that lit the fire.

"Let's go home." He told her as he slowly stood, pulling her up with him. "Eat some Pasta."

His lips pressed against hers once again.

• Bless
Zana saw the confusion but she gave the merest of shakes of her head. She couldn't tell him it might change things. Instead all she could say was,

"I know," then let him pull her to her feet with a smile. She pushed the thoughts of the future to the side and instead focused on the here and now. Apparently that included pasta. Zana laughed and slid her arm around his back so that they could walk pressed against one another. In her other hand she took the reins and then blew a whistle. She had been aware Grey was somewhere nearby and now he came loping up the hill of wild flowers, tongue hanging out and ears flicking this way and that.

"Pasta it is," she smiled and kissed him again then stepped through the portal stone with him.

• Popcorn
The rest of the trip back to the cabin was thankfully uneventful. They arrived through the portal stone on the other end. No one had been waiting for them, no assassins came, and thus they traveled slowly back to their home in the woods.

Sunset saw them eating a small meal, Zana and Talus sitting together atop a small boulder as they watched the light begin to fade.

By the time they reached the Cabin it was nearly midnight. Talus could feel the weight of exhaustion on his shoulders. "Finally."

He breathed as he threw the pack onto his porch.

"I'm about ready to get to bed." The young Dreadlord said with a wide yawn.

Tomorrow would be their last day, but right now all he wanted to do was sleep with her at his side.

• Love
The drink had really begun to hit her and by the time they stopped for supper she was into the deepest bit of her hangover. She was so thankful when the Cabin came into sight she actually breathed out a sigh of relief. Even Grey's steps were slow and he trotted smartly up the steps on Talus's heel, practically running through his legs once the man opened the door.

"I'll be right in," Zana yawned as she undid the girth and slid off the bridal, stashing it all under the porch. Despite her exhaustion she wouldn't come in until her horse was properly seen to which included a brush down and setting out his feed and water. It was nearly another hour before she crawled into bed beside him and Grey.

Before she went to sleep the purple dome went up and over the Cabin again. Even then, she felt a little unease as she drifted off to sleep.

• Wonder
Talus was already fast asleep by the time Zana came to bed.

As soon as her form hit the mattress Talus half rolled over, his arms wrapping around her whether she wanted them to or not. Fingers brushed over her skin, and he made loud smacking noises with his lips as he snuggled into her. "Mmm, pasta...good...zana...love..."

The young Dreadlord mumbled quietly as he snuggled a bit deeper into her.

After that the night passed quickly, and unlike almost every other night they had spent together in the Cabin Talus was the first one to wake.

His eyes opened slowly, a smile touching his face as he noticed that she was still in the bed. His thumbs slowly stroked over her skin, a pleased expression on his lips.

• Haha
Maybe it was the alcohol or maybe it was just the excitement of the past few days but Zana slept until late morning. It was such a deep sleep she barely moved, only the very slight rise and fall of her chest was the indicator she was actually alive. When she finally did open her eyes it was to see him watching her. A sleepy smile twisted her lips as she shut her eyes again and then twisted onto her back to stretch, her hands coming up and over her head as she yawned.

"Good morning," her voice was still thick with sleep and she didnt't reopen her eyes as she lay on her back, enjoying the warmth of of the sun streaming through the window on her skin. "You were talking about pasta in your sleep you know..." she laughed softly under her breath. It was hard not to think about the fact she was going to have to leave for the city that evening, Ashur would expect her in his office in the morning. Zana ran a hand down her face with a sigh.

• Popcorn
"Was I?" Talus asked with a smile, kissing her cheek softly as his fingers ran over her belly. "I tend to talk about delicious things while I sleep."

He actually had no idea that he'd ever talked in his sleep. Something like that would have been dangerous back at the Academy. His lips thinned for a moment, and he dismissed the rather dark thought in favor of a good one.

A yawn pulled from his lips and he slowly began to stretch besides her, wiggling slightly.

"What would you like to do today, my love?" Talus asked as he pecked her cheek.

• Bless
Zana wriggled slightly under the almost ticklish way his fingers drew across her bare flesh.

"Mmm, I'm going to do a little baking," she let one of her hands drop down to comb through his hair slowly, luxuriating in the feel of the silken strands. "But other than that I don't mind. It's been a busy few days, I'm happy to just spend today relaxing, lounging around in bed..." her fingers drifted to his cheek and jaw with a lazy smile then there was a flash of remembrance.

"Ah... but you won the race," she rolled back onto her side. "Do you want to cash that in today or another day?"

• Devil
He kissed her softly as she rolled onto her side and towards him. "I have a plan for that."

The wide smirk that drew over his lips was beyond wicked.

"But I'll need a little bit of time to make it happen." The words were vague, deliberately so. Fingers played slowly over her skin, rising over her body and trailing over supple flesh as he took her in.

"For today, A day of us." He said softly. "Just being together."

An ordinary day. A life they would live after all of this.

His fingers reached up to gently play with the choker still adorning her neck.

• Sip
Her returning kiss was soft and gentle as sleep still hung about her until she opened her eyes and saw his smirk. There was just something about the look on his face that made her press her thighs together and wriggle slightly. Her hand was still in his hair and she pulled him down into another kiss when he stirred her curiosity. She wasn't sure what would require further planning unless it was an activity he thought she would hate to do. Wood working? She hoped not. There was not a creative bone in her body unless it was in the kitchen.

"Yes, just an Ordinary Day in the Life," Zana smiled and rested her cheek back down on the pillows to simply watch him as he focused on his fingers trailing about her skin. When they rose to her throat and the choker she half rolled onto her back again so he could see it better. Pride flooded down the link; she was proud to be wearing something from him. She wanted everyone to know who had given it to her. Love was quick on its heels for she was still overwhelmed by the gesture. As his fingers trailed over the scales her eyes closed.

"I promise it'll be the best pasta you've ever had tonight."

• Bless
"I know it will be." Talus said as he leaned over and gently kissed her cheek, trailing his finger over the scales of her necklace.

He had no idea how she would explain the jewelry, but he hoped she would not take it off when she left here. Talus had wanted it to remind her, a piece that she could carry with her even when she was gone from his side. Perhaps he had made it too extravagant for that.

But he could hope.

His thumb gently ran over the metal, brushing over her skin for a brief second before he leaned over and softly pressed his lips against hers. "This week has been the best of my life."

"I want you to know that."
She was the light of his life, the best thing he'd ever found.

• Love
Zana gently slid her hand around the back of his neck and rubbed her thumb in small circles to massage the muscles there. Her smile lit up her whole face and she pulled him back down into another kiss. When she broke away she gently brushed her nose against his and then played with his hair.

"Mmm... I would have to say second best, there was this one week where I got my pony you see sooo...." a grin spread across her face as she teased him before nipping his lower lip. The truth was Zana couldn't even think of a time that had come close to happiness like this. The week had been like a dream; dragons, dwarves, holding hands....

As his fingers continued to tail across her choker she watched his expression she seemed to share his line of thought.

"I'm not taking it off," her lips brushed against his cheek. "Luana Dreadlords get gifts from wealthy citizens all the time, people will just assume it was a gift from one of them," and if they didn't well she still wouldn't be taking it off, she would just have to get used to high neck tunics.

• Popcorn
He smirked at her, reaching low and giving her rear a small and playful smack.

"Watch it." Talus said as he quickly nipped at her skin, fingers pressing into her skin as he dragged her a little bit closer. "Otherwise that Day is going to get a lot worse for you."

Talus threatened, smiling at her.

A wide smiled spread across his lips. "Good."

Talus said, as though that were the final thing that needed to be said on the subject. His lips pressed against her, almost as if sealing the decision completely. Elation and joy filtered through the bond, and Zana would feel just how happy her words had made him.

"Breakfast?" He asked her as he pulled away.

• Sip
All she could do was laugh at his threat and as he pulled her closer she ran her foot up and down his leg slowly. Clearly, she didn't think her day would get worse at all if she continued in that fashion. Even as the emotions trickled through their bond she could taste them on his lips as he kissed her. She marvelled at this thing he had created between them, let the emotions wrap around her like a warm blanket.

"Yes," Zana gave his cheek one last stroke before she rolled out of the bed and reached for his shirt which she tugged over her head. "Have you ever had pancakes before?" they had been a dish Sloan had used to cook for her when she was younger but she had a hankering for the soft and fluffy breakfast food. She ran a hand through her hair as she padded to the kitchen on bare feet.

• Popcorn
"Pan...cakes." He frowned for a brief moment. "Zana I don't think you can make cakes out of pans. Metal isn't very tasty."

He was, of course, being facetious.

Talus may not have had a lot of culinary experience, but he most certainly knew that she wasn't going to be making food out of pans. "I know you've been ambitious in the kitchen, but come on."

He couldn't keep the smirk off his face.

• Devil
When he stepped into the kitchen she smacked him on the arse with her spatula and then pointed it at him in a warning manner.

"Love of my life, you are just so funny," Zana held the look for a moment longer and then she turned back to making the batter, the pan already resting over a small flame. "If you're not careful you'll end up going back to gruel as punishment," her lips twitched as she fought to keep her stern expression and glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. It was quite a simple recipe so it didn't take too long before she was flipping the fluffy creations in the pan before stacking them on a plate.

"You can choose what you put on top of them," she hadn't brought much with her, some syrup, some fruit, a jam she had picked up in the bazaar during her time in the Empire. "Go on," she nodded to the plate she had made for him before finishing off the last pancake for herself.

Rubbing at his behind Talus frowned. That can't be sanitary.[

The young Dreadlord thought to himself.

"I think I'll just eat something else..." Talus mumbled under his breath as she threatened him with gruel, glancing over her shoulder for a few seconds.

When she pointed out the plate he felt his mouth begin to water, eyes lighting up slightly as he reached over and grabbed the food. When she pointed out the toppings he glanced at them for a moment before ultimately selecting the syrup.

"Porch?" He still hadn't had the time to make a new table.

Knowing she would answer yes, Talus slowly made his way towards the swing outside.